Coolant top up question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant top up question

Ok... Phil's dumb question of the week... (stop laughing in the back row)

1 - I can sometimes see steam coming our of the radiator grille ...my guess is a tiny hole in the radiator...

2- The coolant level is now below minimum

3- The "low collant" light came on for a few seconds yesterday

4- Not had any over heating probs on town driving

So... I'm getting some coolant liquid from a motor factors... and in any other car would add some "Bar Leaks" to try and stop the radiator hole.... is this Ok with the S2... are there any pitfalls???

Phil
    SOLD !

Phil id grab a decent unholed rad off one of the guys breaking on the for sale board
    S2 + RS2 yep ive had a few love em... Laser red S2 avant... Brilliant black lhd RS2... Polar silver RS2... RS blau RS2... CheeRS Al

Comment

As a get you home bodge...ok.

But get it sorted asap, if the rad blows yur stuffed.

On a car as sensitive to good cooling i wouldn't risk it.

Oh carp...sounds exactly what happened to me yesterday...coolant is now just on the minimum mark.
      Carlos.

On the look out for less bits for my s2 saloon project. Now supporting myself by shooting for my food. www.airgunforum.co.uk

Comment

Hi. I would not use the Bar Leaks unless its an old car which is on the way to the scrapyard and you are only in need of it a few more weeks. Is it the front radiator which is leaking? Cheers Anders

Comment

Yup seems to be the front main rad. I'm not sure I'm up to replacing the whole rad myself. But I have MoT in a few weeks, so maybe get a second hand one and get the garage to do it.
          SOLD !

Comment

Yeah okay. That would I do. Bar leaks isn't the way to go in my opinion. I can't take the garage too long to change it anyway. Cheers Anders

Comment

Is the radiator behind the bonnet grill (Aux) or the main rad tucked down behind the NS Headlamp next to the Power steering reservoir?

The Aux is easy to replace (or delete - do a search). The main rad harder (esp if you have AC) but not beyond a competent DIY mechanic with a jack and some tools...

If you do the "main" rad make sure you buy the Behr replacement, the Nissens ones are chocolate.

Cheers,

Steve
              The Perfectionist
              sigpic
              Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Working...
              X