Fuel consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel consumption

I saw in a recent forsale thread that folk are getting up to 30MPG on long runs, and 500 miles on a tank. On a motorway, I am lucky to get 350 sat at 70 with the cruise on.

Why am I using so much?!

Le Mans 2012
    Nurburgring 700
    1995 S2 Avant

try 60quid for 280miles. At least 260 were on the motorway, and 70miles were cruising at 60mph!!

Comment

Normal driving, 200 miles!

Le Mans 2012
      Nurburgring 700
      1995 S2 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by madpugger View Post
        Normal driving, 200 miles!
        Same here

RS2 that is...

http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/330717.html

Comment

Well i can frequently get my MPG up to about 31 or 32mpg driving like a granny!

never driven real distances in it but more often the MPG gauge is at 22-23

500miles out of an S2? i only just about manage 600miles on the way to Lemans out of my Passat so i cant believe that, Passat does about 65MPG

Comment

If you go by the MPG reading in the car, you'll be deceived. They usually under read. The only accuarate way to measure MPG is by each tankful, brim to brim.

Check your thermostat. If your temperature gauge reads more than 2 lines under 90 when cruising along the motorway, you need a new thermostat.

Have your ECU Homefried, you'll gain a few MPG

Run on 95 unleaded - except in very hot weather. You won't get better MPG but you will save money

John

Comment

my last aby was doing about 300 miles per tank on a steady run (homefried)

Comment

I get with my car approx 11.5 L/100km if i drive around 150-160 and sometimes 120 and 180.
                Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

ive been out testing how many miles i get to the gallon driving like a granny and returned 30mpg was very happy very boring though put some more in and went for a blast ha ha

Comment

Originally posted by johne View Post
                    If you go by the MPG reading in the car, you'll be deceived. They usually under read. The only accuarate way to measure MPG is by each tankful, brim to brim.

Check your thermostat. If your temperature gauge reads more than 2 lines under 90 when cruising along the motorway, you need a new thermostat.

Have your ECU Homefried, you'll gain a few MPG

Run on 95 unleaded - except in very hot weather. You won't get better MPG but you will save money

John

Can the thermostat stuff up fuel consumption? In the winter time (currently winter here in NZ) the water temp gauge doesnt go much higher than the first mark.

My RS2 will only get 430kms to a tank of gas if Im kind to it . . . .
                    1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
                    1995 Audi RS2

Comment

MPG Under 17

Sorry for digging up this thread; but I am a little dissapointed with the consumption I am getting from my Coupe....

As some of you know my car has been laid up for a number of years so @ my age I can't remember what sort of consuption I used to get...

But I am sure its better than the 16.6mpg the dash is showing & with the lack of mileage I am getting from a full tank this figure seems to be about correct...

I am not driving it "Over" enthuiastically but I am not holding back when I get chance to open her up!!! If You Know What I Mean

Any suggestions....

sigpic

New S2 - S8 & RS2 -RS6 Keyrings

Comment

My S2 which was idle for 2 years before I had it, is showing mostly 25ish on the gauge, and my average for 200miles of city driving is 21mpg. On the motorway at 120kph, I get about 31mpg on the gauge. And putting the foot down coming out of a toll booth I cannot get it lower than 5.9mpg
                        Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

That sounds excessive to me alright... I get about 21-22 average. Can stretch more on a long / gentle cruise but I am usually not hanging about much in the S2.

Did you renew the lambda probe when you brought the car out of storage ?
                          Thats the first thing I'd point at...

Beyond that, would be worth trying a different MAF for a week and/or getting the injectors cleaned & checked. Injectors that were dumping excessive fuel should get compensated for by lambda control / adaptation - and if that failed on the ECU it would throw up a fault code.

Check it for fault codes.

While you are there - check the ECT and IAT are in spec... If the ECU thinks the engine is cold - it squirts more fuel in. The ECU water temp sensor (ECT) is different from the one you see on the cluster. Check s2central.net for more info on both sensors.
                          Paul Nugent
                          Webmaster http://S2central.net
                          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                            That sounds excessive to me alright... I get about 21-22 average. Can stretch more on a long / gentle cruise but I am usually not hanging about much in the S2.

Did you renew the lambda probe when you brought the car out of storage ?
                            Thats the first thing I'd point at...

Beyond that, would be worth trying a different MAF for a week and/or getting the injectors cleaned & checked. Injectors that were dumping excessive fuel should get compensated for by lambda control / adaptation - and if that failed on the ECU it would throw up a fault code.

Check it for fault codes.

While you are there - check the ECT and IAT are in spec... If the ECU thinks the engine is cold - it squirts more fuel in. The ECU water temp sensor (ECT) is different from the one you see on the cluster. Check s2central.net for more info on both sensors.
                            DUMB Question; what do I need to check for a fault? Not a Mechanic or mechanically minded - Sorry...

(Good at picking coloured mats!!!!)

I did add some Redex in the first two tanks just in case & yes I know its cra9... But better than nothing!!

sigpic

New S2 - S8 & RS2 -RS6 Keyrings

Comment

hop over to s2central.net - into the technical pages on 'OBD' and/or the cluster - looking for 'blink codes' - basically using a 12V lamp/led in the fusebox to get the ECU to squirt some code sequences out.
                              Paul Nugent
                              Webmaster http://S2central.net
                              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Working...
                              X