No announcement yet.

Fuel consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok Will check it out over the weekend...

Thanks - Paul...

Ken.

sigpic

New S2 - S8 & RS2 -RS6 Keyrings

Comment

Back to this yet again....

Took the Coupe to Lincoln and back last night... and drove it "very" hard (needed to test the brake pads ...)

But I could not get above 15 MPG...

Is this about right for it???

No fault codes via Vagcom and I have fitted a Lambda probe I bought from Al Wynn...

Just seems to get worse... the trip cost nearly £40.00 and its only 100 odd miles...

Any suggestions other than slow down...:mischeif:

sigpic

Comment

You cannot expect decent economy if you drive around with a heavy right foot. I get 22-25 ish on average weekly tootles but can squeeze ~30 out of it on a motorway cruise if I am careful.
        Paul Nugent
        Webmaster http://S2central.net
        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

i see about 260-280 miles round town and that. 200-220 on a bit heavier driving.

not surprised you see below 15mpg if you drive it very hard. its a lot of weight to shift an S2.

i have a theory on these things.

a small turbo car driven hard on stock managment usemore juice than a modded one. Why? stock turbo is so small its on boost lots of the time meaning a lower AFR. a heavy foot. not necessarily screwing it buy leaning on a little heavy uses the rest.

ignore the dash mileage. use the tank.

vems, 650cc injectors, big turbo (ish not that big) 29-33mpg motorway. 22-26 round town, not sure at 1.9bar. i drive her often below 2krpm.

well ken, id check tyre pressures, sticky brakes, oil type in engine and transmission. general items first before looking for a fault.

or id sell it and just drive the golf. i tend not to have much sympathy for 4x4 turbo owners who complain about mpg.

Comment

21-22 average too, never seen more than 24. Not sure what range i get, think its 250-280miles but the fuel tank is smaller than the coupe which makes it seem much worse. Can squeeze 340miles out of the CQ20v.
            91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
            93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
            94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
              You cannot expect decent economy if you drive around with a heavy right foot. I get 22-25 ish on average weekly tootles but can squeeze ~30 out of it on a motorway cruise if I am careful.
              Yeah That's what I thought... Even with a Homfried unit...

& it was a very heavy left foot on A & B Roads... lots of overtaking too...

2 Hours of fun for £40.00 Hummmmm = Not that a bad entertainment value I suppose....

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GazzaG60 View Post
                ignore the dash mileage. use the tank.

vems, 650cc injectors, big turbo (ish not that big) 29-33mpg motorway. 22-26 round town, not sure at 1.9bar. i drive her often below 2krpm.

well ken, id check tyre pressures, sticky brakes, oil type in engine and transmission. general items first before looking for a fault.

or id sell it and just drive the golf. i tend not to have much sympathy for 4x4 turbo owners who complain about mpg.
                I Do use the tank as a guide...

Vems etc is an expensive option to bring down fuel costs... but knowing me it would just knock my MPG down even more...:mischeif:

Tyres etc all checked, new pads fitted yesterday...

Not complaining... performance is well worth the cost... BUT it seems heavy - even more so when compaired to a pushed hard RS6 Avant... it used to give over 20mpg on the same run...

Golf gives me 32mpg for same run but takes 50% longer... but not quite as much fun...

sigpic

Comment

Heres a thought. Admittedly I know nothing about these things, but what about one of the ecu guru's coming up with an economy map, maybe one that gives the same power as standard, so it'll still be fast when you want to have fun, but give better mpg on everyday driving? Dont know if such a thing would be possible right enough.
                  "So long, and thanks for all the fish!"

Comment

Originally posted by dmacdou1 View Post
                    Heres a thought. Admittedly I know nothing about these things, but what about one of the ecu guru's coming up with an economy map, maybe one that gives the same power as standard, so it'll still be fast when you want to have fun, but give better mpg on everyday driving? Dont know if such a thing would be possible right enough.
                    Paul (S2Central) already offers one of these ECU's..

Its like the "Girlie" Buttton that Corsa's had..

Full, Stock and boost off I think....

sigpic

Comment

like you say 40 quids not bad for the fun nowadays. some, lots of 4x4 turbo owners dont see it that way though, dont understand that dragging 4x4 costs and that turbos mean the engine acts more like a bigger unit.

what i found is i use less juice now than when stock or say under 330hp. mainly because of the speed differences. its easy to drive even on roads 300ish spirited and fun but not 500. so i tend to cruise

that economy map is exactly whant i run on mine. only in cruise zones. the stock mapping in general can be trimmed for fuel efficiency off boost.

Comment

Yep, this is not a good time to be running an S2 - you gotta love em!!. A tenner barely seems to go anywhere and as an indicator the average MPG on mine rarely seems to be more than about 17 driving around the doors.

Even my wife’s 2ltr Beetle will do about 60 miles from £10’s worth of petrol on average driving – I can usually rely on getting only a little more than half that with the S2!!. Not quite the same driving experience tho!!

If I take it easy it will sit around the low 20’s mpg, a little higher on sedate motorway runs but any pressure on the fun pedal and boy does it tumble fast! Running MTM chips which of course will not help!

But, as ever, the fun factor every time I plant it, or hurtle round a corner, outweighs the ouch to my pocket!!

Paul
                        Trick Pearl White 1992 3B S2 Coupe. Porsche 996 monoblock stopping power! HID Seeing power! Mmmmm Miltek!!!
                        Trick Indigo Pearl B5 S4 Recaros, Bose , Mmmm Miltek!!!
                        sigpic

Comment

around 30/31 mpg on the motorway at 100-110 km/h.

Comment

Working...
                          X