Help! My car died!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! My car died!

I was on my way to the first S2 Meeting in Johannesburg when my engine just cut out Earlier today I finished up installing and fine tuning the Aquamist Water Injection. There was a traffic jam on the highway and I had to stop - when it opened up I nailed the car and when I hit boost in 3rd the engine just cut out. I got my wife to tow the car in and proceeded to the S2 meeting. BTW quite a nice meeting - we had 3 S2 Coupes (should have been 4 ) 1 S2 Avant and a RS2 - but I'll post something about that later.

I checked the car for faults when I got back and there was only one fault 00519 Intake manifold pressure sender - G71 Signal too high. My car has a RS2 engine and ECU and it boosts to 1.7 Bar (was chipped by a local chip tuner). Not even clearing the fault nor resetting the ECU gets the car to start again. It sound like there is no spark.

Anybody that have any ideas what I can do to get it going again? It was fine before the water injection, but the car was missing slightly when the WI starts to kick in, but then goes like a rocket.

Could the extra pressure of the water being injected caused the MAP sensor to get upset? The boost was not higher than normal on my boost gauge?

My erWin manual says the possible causes are:
    1 Vacuum line to ECU blocked
    2 Liquid seperator in this hose line to ECU full of liquid
    3 BOV faulty
    4 WGFV faulty
    5 MAP faulty
    6 Turbo faulty

I have a new Forge DVR so 3 is out of the question as is 4 my WGFV is brand new. I don't see any liquid in the moisture trap but I have a feeling it has something to do with moisture because of the WI. Heaven forbid number 6!

Help please! Any ideas on getting it to go again?
    1995 Silver S2 (ADU) Coupe
    2006 Porsche 997 Carrera S
    2006 Misano Red RS4
    2004 VW Touareg V8
    2007 Golf Mk1 Race Car
    2004 Mercedes Benz Vito 112CD

Disconnect the water injection thingy, but also check your turbo to intercooler, and intercooler to inlet pipes.

If the turbo-i/c pipe comes off, or gets a big enough split, it will cause your car to stall, absolutely positively no doubt about that whatsoever, cause I've had that too many times to count. WIll also prove a swine to start if it can't get any air in it. I've had to drive on part throttle back to the house several times, using the handbrake to slow down so I can keep the throttle blipped and keep moving...

Does sound like the Water Injection has messed with something though?

Wait till the more knowledgeable guys get on - they'll offer suggestions. I'm only experienced with pipes... splitting, falling off etc etc

Good luck!

Paul
    'The Bacofoil Express'...

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

Could be a huge boost leak, however, my car still idled with the turbo to intercooler hose hanging off. It could be a problem with your Hall sender, if there is no spark at all.
      91 Modded 3B
      14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

It is fooked!

I just had a look again! All the turbo pipes are on.

I took out the spark plugs to check compression - there is no compression on any of the cylinders What could that be? It can't be head gasket - it would not blow all 5 cylenders at once?
        2006 Misano Red RS4
        2004 VW Touareg V8
        2007 Golf Mk1 Race Car

Comment

Originally posted by APNess
          Disconnect the water injection thingy, but also check your turbo to intercooler, and intercooler to inlet pipes.

If the turbo-i/c pipe comes off, or gets a big enough split, it will cause your car to stall, absolutely positively no doubt about that whatsoever, cause I've had that too many times to count. WIll also prove a swine to start if it can't get any air in it. I've had to drive on part throttle back to the house several times, using the handbrake to slow down so I can keep the throttle blipped and keep moving...

Does sound like the Water Injection has messed with something though?

Wait till the more knowledgeable guys get on - they'll offer suggestions. I'm only experienced with pipes... splitting, falling off etc etc

Good luck!

Paul
          Ditto, Mine done that 3 times on a 5 mile journey as i hadnt tightened a jubilee clip up enough, car just dies, ended up pulling the car to pieces on the roadside to get at the hose clip, people driving by must have thought i was mad pulling my car to pieces at the road side.
          graham
          Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

I have spent my day trying to get my head around the compression issue and it has me (and my friends at the Audi Club of SA - we had a nice lunch today) totally confused.

Why would I lose compression is all 5 cylinders at the same time. A head gasket will not blow on 5 cylinders at once (also no water in the oil). I am sure you won't blow a hole in 5 pistons at the same time. There is no mechanical noise when you spin the engine - so it can't be a snapped crankshaft?

2006 Misano Red RS4
            2004 VW Touareg V8
            2007 Golf Mk1 Race Car

Comment

Is there a keyway on the crankshaft pulley? If so is it in tact? Thats about the only way you'll loose compression on all cylinders at once i'd have thought?!
              Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

Originally posted by GandalfS6
                My erWin manual says the possible causes are:
                1 Vacuum line to ECU blocked
                2 Liquid seperator in this hose line to ECU full of liquid
                3 BOV faulty
                4 WGFV faulty
                5 MAP faulty
                6 Turbo faulty
                You might have been spraying so much water that you caused 1 or 2. I'd look there.

Comment

Originally posted by 91_S2
                  You might have been spraying so much water that you caused 1 or 2. I'd look there.
                  You'd still get compression though.....

Comment

Originally posted by Beetie
                    You'd still get compression though.....
                    Yup. Didn't read far enough.

Comment

Originally posted by 91_S2
                      Yup. Didn't read far enough.
                      No we cross posted so you wouldnt have read it! sorry!

Comment

After a night of rolling around wondering WTF is wrong with the car , I quickly checked a few things this morning.

There is nothing wrong on the crank as the pistons are moving up and down (checked with a dowel), all the belts including cam belt is fine and the cam pully is turning. Still no compression!

What could be wrong?
                        2006 Misano Red RS4
                        2004 VW Touareg V8
                        2007 Golf Mk1 Race Car

Comment

are all the valves seating correctly? your not loosing all comp through bad valve seal are you?
                          Simon.
                          S.P.S. TUNING
                          '93 ABY S2.... sold
                          me thinks RR URQ next :mischeif:

Comment

When you attempt to start does the engine spin quickly? Ive read of a case where the oil pressure relief valve stuck and caused the hydraulic (valve) lifters to overpressurise and keep all the valves open.

Comment

Originally posted by jameswkr
                              When you attempt to start does the engine spin quickly? Ive read of a case where the oil pressure relief valve stuck and caused the hydraulic (valve) lifters to overpressurise and keep all the valves open.
                              Yes it spins quickly, the same way as it does when the plugs are out! How do I check the oil pressure relief valve (and where is it?)
                              2006 Misano Red RS4
                              2004 VW Touareg V8
                              2007 Golf Mk1 Race Car

Comment

Working...
                              X