This is the spray kit i have fitted.
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
    Audi UR Quattro
    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

one at a time!! Haven't got it completed yet.
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
    Audi UR Quattro
    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

and a little pressure reg. for controlling flow.
      Attached Files
      sigpic
      Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
      Audi UR Quattro
      Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

there is also a one way valve so it doesn't empty the washer bottle when not in use!!

Run out of tubing and time today, will complete tomorrow and post results and working pics!!

Will eventually have a microswitch on the throttle linkage to turn it on on full throttle.

Smart!!
        sigpic
        Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
        Audi UR Quattro
        Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Looking farward to have your results !

Marco

Comment

Good one Tom! if it wasn't for my current ongoing work, I would been doing this also. Simple unyet very effective. Look forward to hearing out it worked out!!
            Martyn
            -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Nice job. Do you feel more power now? It's a simple way to boost up your BHP. I am curious.
              I am thinking about it for a time, since I have read this article:
              Intelligent Intercooler Water Spray
              Just want to know if your acceleration is improved noticeable, someone here in Holland doesn't noticed anything. But I believe he only washes his intercooler...
              www.S2power.com

S2 Coupe - decat - EPS exhaust - RS2 IC - RS2 front - RS2 brakes - RS2 mirrors - Koni shocks - H&R springs - Jehnert doorpanels & Audison Amps - leather & sunroof - VEMS - USA rearlights

Comment

Done the spray mod today. Rigged up to the rear washer pump. I have for the moment disconnected the rear wiper and am using the rear wash stalk to spray. I will use a throttle microswitch when done. First impressions were not that special, but when booting it hard there is a noticable difference in grunt. The intake temps have dropped by about 4-5 deg. Not too bad for under a tenner!!!
                Attached Files
                sigpic
                Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                Audi UR Quattro
                Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Tom, if you think of taking this idea futher... then the winscreen washer jets fitted to the Audi TT are fan jets. In English what this means is that the TT jets don't squirt a stream of water, what they do is finely atomise the water to create a wide dispersing mist of water under presure! A series of four of them directed at the front of the IC may work a lot better....

You could rig up a micro switch to the top (pivot) end of the throttle pedal that would be adjustable so that from say 3/4 full throttle, the jets would then mist water at the iC.

I've thought about this a lot, you could use the micro switch to turn on a timed relay to feed power to the jets so they spray for X amount of time. Something like a 'programmable' timer circuit so you can experiment with the best 'turn on point - say 3/4 throttle' from the micro switch, then once the jets are turned on by 3/4 throttle, the variable timer circuit could hold them on for X amount of time.

You could also have a straight forward 'on' button to feed power to them continously to over ride the timer circuit.

After that, then you could experiment with maybe chilling the water... you're pretty darn good with air con, figure out a way for the air con circuit to pre chill the water.

What do you reckon?

Turning more misting jets on earlier, having them on for X amount of time, chilling the water..... could be very interesting!!

Martyn
                  Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Isn't there a wire in the ecu harness that gets +12V when the engine runs WOT? Some cars use this kind of thingy to shut the A/C down when accelerating hard.. Wonder if the mighty S has one also? I think that could be the right place to get the signal and you could forget the micro switches...
                    -

Comment

Not sure if the next statement 'holds water' :-) or not but.... I was thinking you'd want the jets misting water at the IC for a least a few seconds before hitting WOT.

I think?? there is bound to be a good few seconds until any reduction in temp happens when misting the IC, that's why I was thinking of say 3.4 throttle...
                      Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Good point
                        -

Comment

Tom

Have you tried mixing alcohol with the water to try and redcue intake temps even further. I guess as long as you don't use neat or very high concentrations of alcohol you should be safe in terms of a inferno! :eek2:

Maybe engine coolant or even screen wash would work as it contains some alcohol doesn't it?

Leigh

PS if you try alcohol and your car goes up in flames I never suggested it OK
                          Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

A few things here -

1. Firkin sound idea in principle

2. Yes the S2 ECU does have the smarts to disable the A/C whilst at full boot - there are actually a couple of pins for this purpose. Would need to lookup the 3B schematic.

3. A more precise way (than on full throttle) to determine when to squirt some spray should be derived from logic based on intake air temperature. With care, a fairly simple control circuit driven by the IAT sensor on the inlet manifold could switch the spray on when temps exceed a certain level for a certain time.

4. A more refined set of spray jets across the IC surface might be better.

Also - what are you using to measure IAT ?

If its a probe off the stock IAT sensor then be mighty sure you aren't affecting the load seen by the ECU or it will get false IAT info.

Paul
                            Paul Nugent
                            Webmaster http://S2central.net
                            Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                            2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                            2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Hello Paul, long time no chat.

I know its primative at the moment. But it was just a trial to see what sort of affect it had on IAT.

3B's A/C does not turn off on WOT. Well mine doesn't.

I am using a normal little temp gauge placed in the air stream just before the throttle butterfly.

Do you know anyone who could make such a logic board?
                              Attached Files
                              sigpic
                              Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                              Audi UR Quattro
                              Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Working...
                              X