Engine removal question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine removal question.

1995 Audi A6 (re-badged 100) 2.3l 5 cylinder.
    Doing an engine swap, have hit a snag and can not remove radiator and front bumper.
    I want to get the engine out but the radiator is in the way, have already taken out the top radiator support bar, whats easiest way to get it out?
    Does the front bumper need to be removed to take the motor out?
    I'm separating the motor from the gear box.
    The gear box is staying the car.

Front end has to come off
    93 S2 Avant Parting
    91 URQ RR
    02 A4 tdi Avant

Comment

Is the radiator bolted down at the bottom on rubber mounts like the 80 is?

Although I think I had to take my bumper off before the rad, makes it awkward with the air con radiator there as well though
      URQ 20vt converted
      80 quattro saloon with on going a V8 transplant

Comment

there are bolts 1 on either side of the radiator, cant get the bumper off though? took the big ones out the front but its still on solid as aye. do you know where these other small bolts are? if i get the bumper off then ill have a better chance at getting the radiators out

Comment

best check US forums for that vintage of A6 bumper removal... wouldn't really be covered here specifially, but in general you will probably find there is a bracket from bumper to chassis behind each indicator / foglight and that there are some screws that secure edge of bumper to the outer wing.
          Paul Nugent
          Webmaster http://S2central.net
          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

There are 2 allen bolts that need to be removed to take the bumper off which come out from underneath(as well as the wings fixings) .Release the aircon pipes from their various clips(one on abs unit and a zip tie nearer bulkhead) then the aircon rad and water rad can be brought forward and swung away from the car enough to get the engine in/out without having to let the gas out of the aircon/water from the main rad.Leave them bolted together and just rest the rads on a chair or something.
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X