OIL pressure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OIL pressure?

What should be the oil presure when it's worm about 70*? Because my gauge shows 1 bar on idle rpm and 90* water temp. Could the reason be that I had removed the crankcase ventilation due to the upgrade?

should be on about 1.8-2bar at warm idle
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

yes! But since I change turbine and I removed the crank ventilation is this could be the reason or it's time for revision of the bottom end?

Comment

Oil pressure should be 2 bar at normal operating temp and idle.

What oil are ytou running? W40 W50 W60?
        Cheers'en, AndyC
        1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Motul Synergie+ 6100 10W40- it's about for change.
          Last edited by Nik0las; 22 March 2010, 12:49.

Comment

So maybe the oil is the reason?

Comment

A thicker oil would be worth a try, W50 for street, W60 for track.
              Cheers'en, AndyC
              1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

perhaps you have broken oil pressure sensor. I had it once in my s2. It showed only 3 bar at 6000rpm :O
                Audi Coupe S2 1993
                Audi V8 4.2 1993
                Audi cabrio 1998

Comment

well , today I find out that I have a same problem .

was in the traffic jam today, engine was warm on idile and I saw 1 bar of oil pressure...???? wtf....? I have 5w-40 oil..

when engine is cold , and starts the car it is 4,5-5bar

what can be a problem?

Comment

Sensor. If you'd have a dead engine it would still build 7bar to open the valve and put the gauge to max at cold oil.
                    S2+AAN in progress (again), BMW 3 compact

Comment

IIRC The Auto-check system should have kicked off at those levels.

Comment

Oil pressure at idle can be a big discussion point but it's also very dependent on a number of factors: oil type, the age of the oil, oil temperature and engine idle speed, wear of oil pump & bearings, inaccuracy of oil pressure gauge.

With so many factors it's impossible to be certain which one is the cause. You know your engine best. If it's always been 2 bar at idle and it drops to 1 bar then it's something to keep an eye on. More reliable is to monitor oil pressure at say 2000 rpm and monitor that over time.

Given you were in traffic I suggest it was a combination of higher than normal oil temp and low idle. I run on 0 - 40 Mobil 1 and once in a while see 1 bar at idle, but 1.5 is more the norm.

John

Comment

thanks John for info.

I will monitor oil pressure with one eye all time.

before few month it was ok, because temperature was still cold... but now is hot out side.

I'm using this ENEOS 5w-40. and some people sad- it is not good oil for your engine... you have to use 10w-40 because it's gosling...

I believe that 5w-40 is better in my country because we have very hot summers and not too cold winters. Am I right ...?

maybe that is the reason why oil pressure drop on 1 bar.

Comment

5 - 40 will be better than 10 -40 because it will give you better protection at start up but it's the "40" figure that affects your oil pressure when the oil is hot.

"Oilman" on here has posted lots of good stuff on what oil to use but iirc there's no point in using oil higher than 40 unless you flog your car around a track. A 50 oil will give you higher oil pressures for the same oil temperature but that doesn't mean you'll get better protection, indeed the oposite may be the case. Good quality oil is more important than worrying about a few bar of oil pressure!

John

Comment

Originally posted by Nik0las View Post
                              What should be the oil presure when it's worm about 70*? Because my gauge shows 1 bar on idle rpm and 90* water temp. Could the reason be that I had removed the crankcase ventilation due to the upgrade?
                              Any well-equipped garage should have a mechanical screw-in Bourdon type gauge. I have a Sykes Pikavant one and find it invaluable - Audi's oil pressure sensors and post-processing can be a nightmare so it's helpful to know instantly if it really is low pressure or a sensor/wiring glitch.

Several times the car has said 1 bar and the gauge reads 2. Happy owners at a stroke.

Comment

Working...
                              X