oil cooler bypass "oil stat"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil cooler bypass "oil stat"

Just wondering if anybody has ever fitted or considered fitting one of these "oil stats"?

The idea is that if you're driving on a cool day with no pressure on the engine that this will allow the oil to reach operating temperature faster and also help prevent the oil from running cooler than required. I think it is possible for the oil cooler to over cool the oil in the s2.
    I am thinking about fitting one of the 80 Deg C ones into the pipes that serve the oil cooler as it is now out of the car for replacement.

The one I think would be best for our application is the Mocal A0T/2 with 22mm x 1.5mm Female connections. Price seems to be about £50 ish. http://www.thinkauto.com/oilstats.htm

Now for the stupid questions....

Did Audi think of this already and build one of these stats into the oil filter housing?

Would someone with a running s2 bring it for a gentle drive from cold and let me know how long it takes for the oil temp to reach 80 Deg C?

On a long motorway drive at say 70mph, top gear cruising does the temp drop below 80 deg C?

Shane
    Shane

Originally posted by s2_ireland View Post
    Now for the stupid questions....

Did Audi think of this already and build one of these stats into the oil filter housing?

Would someone with a running s2 bring it for a gentle drive from cold and let me know how long it takes for the oil temp to reach 80 Deg C?

On a long motorway drive at say 70mph, top gear cruising does the temp drop below 80 deg C?

Shane
    As far as I'm aware there is a thermostat built into the housing already - certainly my ABY behaves as if it has one, especially as the temp doesn't drop on a motorway cruise.

Something like 10 to 12 mins in my car to 80 deg C.

John

Comment

Johne is right again... There is an oil thermostat built in - ensures oil heats up quicker and only requires the cooler when temp is sufficiently high - just like the water system.

Paul
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Cheers John, exactly the answer I was looking for.
        Shane
        Shane

Comment

It does work too, 20mins on the motorway the temp sits around the first big line on the gauge. I believe thats 80-90 degrees.

Same drive in the 7A (no oil cooler) it will sit around 100, add in lots of high revving fun down a twisty back roads and it will get up to 120. Infact WOT through the gears to 140mph will bring it above 120 degrees on mine, they really should have fitted oil coolers to them.
          91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
          93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
          94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

I agree, i get mine really hot in just a few mins on a twisty b-road.

Must have been a cost saving exercise as the 3B one is almost a bolt on to the 7A, just need to install the pins in the filter flange and away you go.
            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

A couple of other things whilst we're on oil stats. Certainly the Mocal one and probably the internal Audi one don't actually cut off the oil flow to the cooler like a water thermostat would - the thermostat is in a bypass circuit. To work, they rely on the fact that the oil in the cooler will be cold and thus more viscous than the engine oil so the oil will take the easy route through the bypass circuit and not out to the cooler until the bypass temperature of typically 70 deg C is reached.

What that means in practice is that the cooler is always under full pressure and also will feel warm to the touch even though it's not doing much cooling - it doesn't mean the thermostat isn't working. As a consequence the cooler will get quite hot when the car is stationary.

Oil temperture closely mirrors engine temperature so if your water thermostat is old and lazy it will take longer for the oil to warm up as well.

John
              Last edited by johne; 9 April 2010, 05:31.

Comment

Working...
              X