Dumped it's coolant today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumped it's coolant today...

Yep... Really strange, just need your thoughts really...

Drove 90 miles this morning to Ashford, pretty much all motorway mileage, the old girl was superb, no issues what-so-ever... Parked it up and 30 minutes later, one of the engineers walked in and says the S2 is dumping all it's coolant...

Initially, we thought it was the aux rad by the way the water was sprayed back into the engine bay, but it turns out it's an inch long split in the small flexible pipe that runs from the water pump, to the metal feed pipe to the rear of the engine... BUT, it's located in a right pig of a spot. So it's a Rad fan out job, pipes disconnected and some rummaging around in the Electrostar train toolkit/parts bin and we've replaced the pipe with 3" of serious high temperature hydraulic piping... All I can say is thank goodness it failed in such a resourceful place with some very skilled engineers.

Topped up with 90% water, 10% G12 (it's dumped that much coolant that my half bottle of G12 went nowhere)... It came home without issue... Drove to Maidstone services and checked everything was okay, then kept a close eye on it the rest of the way... The last 10 miles I opened the old girl up a lot... as in a LOT, nee - right up.... (Really have forgotten how mad S2's are! )... Left it idling on the drive and waited for fan, then after run pump... all's well...

There's only one question really...

Was it just a fluke of good fortune, or was there a reason why the pipe failed after the engine had shut down?

I'd guessed it probably wasn't through a pressurised (head gasket type fail) cooling system... But with the engine driven pump (sorry Railway technology creeping in here) shut down and the after run pump possibly in system, the coolant pressure should have been reducing...

Any thoughts?

VBR
    Ian
    85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
    93 MTMS2 Avant

Its fairly common for that pipe to let go, and the smaller one above it for the turbo feed. Was nice of it to go somewhere convenient
    91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
    93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
    94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

You will find the pressure always rises after shutdown.
      Had leaks start in both rads when stopped but hardly leaked when water pump was running.

cheers

Comment

Thanks folk, one of the engineers suggested that pressure rose after shutdown, but that seemed slightly counter intuitive to me as the pumpsets had stoppedā€¦ But I can understand the logic of localised pressure and heat buildup as circulation stops, lets hope it was nothing more than that that's caused the failureā€¦
        85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
        93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

Working...
        X