strange observations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange observations

After doing an oil change (drain + replace oil filter) and engine warm up, turn off the engine. Then I checked my M-oil level from the dipstick. While the dipstick off the funnel, I observe steam coming out of the funnel. I then open the engine oil cap to see if there is steam too, there there was steam.
    I never experience this for my other cars, but on this ABY.
    Is this common?
    I am using 0W-30 Castrol.
    What's happening in the engine for the steam to exist...
    2002 A3 8L
    2005 TT 3.2 Quattro
    2007 A4 Avant B7 (hers)
    2009 100 C4
    2009 A6 Avant (hers)
    2010 RS2
    2010 S2 Saloon
    2011 KTM SuperDuke 990 Olive Green

Condensation will sometimes form in the engine. You'll also get water vapour from crankcase gasses and possibly ther emay even be a small amount of water content in new oil. Some steam isnt unusual, however large amounts are.

Check the underside of the filler cap and look down in the cam cover for light gray/whiteish sludge. Check your water level too and see if the reservoir smells like exhaust/oil, note the colour of the water too so see if its going dark/frothy.

Any of the above can indiacte head gasket problems. A blocked/collapsed breather could also allow fumes to build up in the crankcase.

Comment

thanks...
      will check it again.
      2002 A3 8L
      2005 TT 3.2 Quattro
      2007 A4 Avant B7 (hers)
      2009 100 C4
      2009 A6 Avant (hers)
      2010 RS2
      2010 S2 Saloon
      2011 KTM SuperDuke 990 Olive Green

Comment

Steam from warm oil isnt something to worry about, i've had this on every car i've owned...
        Jay - pug_life85@hotmail.com

1986 Audi UR quattro - WORK IN PROGRESS
        1981 VW Mk1 Golf - "20v Jim, but not as we know it!"

Comment

Working...
        X