trackday oil temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trackday oil temp

I'm doing a trackday at Colerne on Saturday and am looking for some advice on any danger signs to look out for.

I've heard that the oil cooler on the S6s can be a bit under-specc'd for trackdays.

Will I be able to see oil temp rising on the dashboard gauge, and what are acceptable levels?

cheers,
    Tom

On my S2 it gets to 130ish after a couple of laps and stays there, that's OK tbh. If it goes to 150 then you should change the oil aftwerwards really.

Keep an eye on the temp gauge and see what happens, if it goes high then back off a little but keep moving to generate airflow and assist cooling. Take the warmdown lap of any session very gently and don't put the handbrake on in the pits!
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

I seem to remember seeing oil temps upto 120 - 130 deg on my S2 Coupe doing a short session at castle combe.
      A good oil should be ok for this, but guess the trick is to have a good slow down last lap, and keep the engine running a few minutes after getting back to the pits to allow temps to return down to normal levels

Comment

You want aW50 or W60 for track day use as W40 or less will not give the turbo seals that good protection at high temp.
        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

if you have aircon or manual fan overide swith, run that also on the cool down lap, your engine will thank you As for oil....as above
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Not sure on the S6 wiring colours but it was a pretty simple job on the s2.
            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Thanks for all the advice on this

I found the overide switch how to here

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21702

I'm not going to have time to fit it before the weekend though. What's the best setting to have the aircon on for the cool down lap?

Comment

Hello, my RS2 during trackday goes to 130°C and stay here.

Bye

Alessio
                My life and my loves

Audi-Porsche Avant RS2
                Audi S6 C4 ABT Avant
                Audi S2 Coupe ABY
                Audi S2 Avant
                Audi Cabriolet 2.0E

Comment

mine got up to 115-120deg celsius at it max temperature on the track and 34°C outside
                  - Looking for a S2
                  - Lancia Dedra HF turbo i.e. (4sale)
                  - Typ89 Coupè quattro, 20Vt AAN, VEMS, K24-7000@1.3bar (scrapped )

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X