2309cc 20valve turbo ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2309cc 20valve turbo ?

seeing as the cost of good parts for a 2.5 conversion are expensive & a little hard to come by, I was just wondering if any parts from a 2.309 cc engine could be used in a 20vt build to give a little more displacement?

my thinking is that 2309 cc engines are more common, and maybe performance items for such a conversion would be cheaper. ?

I know, I know... your first answer will be WHY? but I guess I just like the idea of running an engine that is a little 'different' to the typical 'bolt in and go' 20vt conversion.

What parts from 2309cc engines can be used? if any. & are there performance versions of such parts available to buy for that displacement?

cheers. gaz.
    C4 A6 AEL avant quattro: daily

TYPE-85 Coupe Quattro: clicky
    2.5L GTi engineering RE2500 190hp.180lb
    Schrick 272 cam
    C A C 2.5" T304 Exhaust
    ITG filter

To get 2309 on the turbo 20v engine you'd need to get custom pistons of 82.5mm and a block rebore. I've heard rumours there are off the shelf golf pistons that would also work.

Ask flat on my back.

if it's a 2309cc 7A NA engine your trying to use then the compression ratio of the pistons is wrong AFAIK so cant be used

Comment

not worth it imo.

boost pressure will be a good enough replacement for4 less than 100cc.

keep things simple and on the tried and tested to get a good working solution.

if you want something different try with a 16v. save some weight over the front wheels and make the same power for less.

id envisage lots of custom parts making it cost more than a tdi stroker.

Comment

82.5mm. IIRC thems beetle 2l. maybe golf. 8v though

the daddy for this is the 9a/6a piston. i got some somewhere. 2 lots. 2 sets of rods too. IIRC the rod is the same.
        ringland is deep enough. its been proven 400whp on these with stacked gaskets. mid 300's no worries.

rods. im not 100% but i think they are the same on an S2/rs2 as a 16v. 027 198 401 B for 16v and C for audi.

Comment

As far I know the only difference into bottom end is the pistons sizes, so you will need new forge pistons on 82.5mm and forge rods. About the head it's better to use one from turbo engine due to the valves and water manifold difference, but it is not impossible to customize 7A one practically they're same.

Comment

Originally posted by Nik0las View Post
            As far I know the only difference into bottom end is the pistons sizes, so you will need new forge pistons on 82.5mm and forge rods. About the head it's better to use one from turbo engine due to the valves and water manifold difference, but it is not impossible to customize 7A one practically they're same.
            SPINK does the moded 7A head and you just need a set of S2 exhaust valves...

Comment

are 7a not sodium. 6a/9a/kr are.

Comment

6A EX valves are sodium filled - really ?
                Paul Nugent
                Webmaster http://S2central.net
                Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by GazzaG60 View Post
                  are 7a not sodium. 6a/9a/kr are.
                  Can you tell just looking at them cause I have the old 7A ones in a box somewhere...

Comment

034 motorsport does have the turbokit for the 7a engine...

Comment

Like jamo says all you need to do is buy some 82.5 pistons and put them in your engine, you will need to find a bigger head gasget as the standard one is 82mm.

Obviously a rebore is needed.

I did this to my block in the golf because the scoring on the bore was very deep, weisco pistons came off the shelf from germany with an 8.0:1 CR, they only sent me 4 .

If your block is fooked why not do it, only problem is you probably only have one rebore left in the block to 83mm. But you would buy a new block in this scenario as they are cheaper than a set of forged pistons.
                      The ONLY S2 Golf!
                      http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19402
                      10.42@138mph
                      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0wnkkOfFpXg

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                        To get 2309 on the turbo 20v engine you'd need to get custom pistons of 82.5mm and a block rebore. I've heard rumours there are off the shelf golf pistons that would also work.

Ask flat on my back.

if it's a 2309cc 7A NA engine your trying to use then the compression ratio of the pistons is wrong AFAIK so cant be used
                        U know, i think the forged pistons in my RE2500 are 82.43 ? Also, they apparently except fiat 20valve piston rings.
                        C4 A6 AEL avant quattro: daily

TYPE-85 Coupe Quattro: clicky
                        2.5L GTi engineering RE2500 190hp.180lb
                        Schrick 272 cam
                        C A C 2.5" T304 Exhaust
                        ITG filter

Comment

It would be very interesting to try to do high compression engined "WRC type " version with e85 alco fuel and with "moderate boost". 10.3 CR should be worth testing ! Pistons and ex valves need to be decent to handle the inreased burning load.

http://www.20v.org/specs.htm

Comment

Originally posted by MGaz View Post
                            U know, i think the forged pistons in my RE2500 are 82.43 ? Also, they apparently except fiat 20valve piston rings.
                            Size might be o.k but the compression ratio would be wrong.

Na cars run higher CR than a turbo

Comment

Originally posted by caterpillar View Post
                              034 motorsport does have the turbokit for the 7a engine...
                              I wouldn't go for the 034 turbo kit for the 7a... the turbocharger has a pretty old design (T3/TO4E 50trim) and the first stage is not intercooled. In that case and with all that money, I would take every bit (turbo stuff) from the 3B/ABY/AAN and put it onto the 7A or even NM, the go for a remap on low boost setup. For higher boost setup the lower comp headgasket will be a must. Cheers!
                              - Looking for a S2
                              - Lancia Dedra HF turbo i.e. (4sale)
                              - Typ89 Coupè quattro, 20Vt AAN, VEMS, K24-7000@1.3bar (scrapped )

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X