No announcement yet.

off throttle scraping noise...thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• off throttle scraping noise...thoughts?

Had this funny sound for a while now...doesnt seem to affect the performance of the car and nothing particularly untoward in terms of smell or heat etc but when off throttle, there is a wierd grinding/scraping sound which initially before i parked the car for 6 months was an electrical shorting issue however with a fresh pair of ears today having got the car back on the road i am now unsure.

What could cause a scraping sound ...sort of manifests itself under the dashboard area but is really difficult to poinpoint...

I wondered about clutch bearing maybe..silent at rest and doesnt make any sound at all under load, only when stepping off the gas or trailing throttle as braking to a junction etc

Cheers
    David
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

i had a similar noise once when throttling off or over run going down a hill which was caused by the pully on the air con compressor rubbing on a jubilly clamp on the inlet to the intercooler i think the engine mount on the same side was a bit weak which allowed the engine to drop a bit on that side when coming off the gas. may be something totally different on your car but it may be worth a look if you have air con .
    never set your expectations to high that way you are never disapointed

Comment

sorry didn't read the under the dash bord bit
      never set your expectations to high that way you are never disapointed

Comment

front diff bearing(s)
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

i was thinking clutch release bearing as noise seems to disappear when depressing the clutch while moving? Having said that Tom replaced the whole lot in 2005/27k miles ago so seems a tad premature considering the previous one lasted 165k miles???

sounds like drivetrain/clutch but no idea.

Might bleed the clutch and see if that improves it

If it was front diff bearings do they just stay noisy or should they be replaced asap?
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
          X