Fuel tank leak!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel tank leak!

I thought i might post about this as it may come in useful to someone!

I noticed petrol leaking from the drains in the boot yesterday! I thought it must be from the fuel tank, so i set about the investigation

I removed the spare wheel, parcel shelf and folded the rear seats down. This allowed me to fold the boot carpet back and access the 3 10mm headed screws that hold it down.
    Removing the boot carpet revealed a steel cover over the fuel tank and allowed removal of half of the spare wheel well carpet, and in turn gave access to two further 10mm headed screws that must be removed. There were three remaining 12mm headed bolts that secured the steel cover, which were located along the rearmost edge of the cover, and were accessed by peeling back the sticky backed carpet that cover them. The steel cover was then removed.

Next the steel ring that secures the filler neck rubber gaitor was removed. The two rubber pipes that connect between the petrol tank and the small black tank that sits next to the filler neck, were next removed along with the rubber pipe that connects between the filler neck and the small black tank. It wasn't necessary to disconnect the plastic pipe that feeds the small black tank. The small black tank was secured by two 10mm headed bolts and was removed (plastic feed pipe still attatched). At this stage, i took the opportunity to remove the fuel sender and syphon th fuel from the tank.

Underneath the car next, and on the nearside, looking between the rear diff and wishbone the two fuel lines to the tank are located. One is a rubber pipe, the other a plastic pipe, secured by a union with a 17mm nut. These were removed.

Back in the boot, and located on the front edge of the tank, were the two remaining 12mm nuts, one on each corner, that secure the tank. Once removed, it was possible to remove the fuel tank from the car.

Upon inspection, i found what appeared to be a stress fracture!! I found it on the underneath of the tank, on the fiiler neck side, right where the sidewall meets the bottom, and in the apex of the bend, where the tank narrows off to the front.

It was repaired by soldering up, and a patch of epoxy resin with some glassfibre tape.

As always, re-fitting was the reverse of removal!! It has been back together for over 24 hours now, and remains dry (touch wood)

Again, i hope this helps someone else in the future!!

Dan.
    sigpic

well done!!

i had a similar problem like this in my first coupe 2.2e...

i had a enormous fuel noise into the car and the problem was in the upper part of the fuel tank,i had to weld in it too with a lot of car,it was a little damaged and cracked...anyway after the weld session never again i felt the fuel noise
    RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
    BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
    LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

Working...
    X