fan comes in too late

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fan comes in too late

Beware, it concerns my S4 (1992) chiptuned to 285 HP.
    It goes like a rocket although it is about 1600 kg.

The water temp (dashboard gauge) rises above 100 degC (105) before the fan comes in (low speed) I already changed the thermoswitch 2 times but it didn't help.

The gauge itself and its temp sensor seemes to be OK.
    Also the wiring is OK. The 2 speeds of the fan are there if you bypass the switch.

With these temp of 25 degC and higher on the highway the gauge stabilizes at about 94 degC. At the traffic lights the temp rises to just above 100 degC (105) and the fan comes in (low speed).

It seemes as if the location of the thermoswitch (right down in radiator) doesn't get warm enough. Could the radiator be blocked ?? With these modern fluids this shouldn't be possible anymore I would think.

The original switch should switch at 95 degC (low speed)and 102 degC (high speed).
    As a shortterm solution I bought and modified another switch that should theoretically switch at 88 and 92 degC. Now my fan comes in at exactly 100 degC. I won 5 degC.

Also the cooling fluid and the thermostath were replaced 2 times.
    S4 Rider

Hmm, tough one!!

Maybe.... just maybe, the temp. gauge is not as accurate as it used to be?? It sounds like everything is working fine, so maybe the gauge is not being very accurate right now?

just a thought for you...
    Martyn
    Martyn
    -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

As martyn has said, could be gauge, I personally have not found gauges to be faulty very often, normally it is then temperature gauge sensor that fails, not sure where that is on S4 or if it is a standalone sensor but might be worth trying a new one. Secondly, regarding your comments on your radiator, if a radiator is blocked, the faster you go the hotter the car usually gets as the water cannot flow properly to cool down. So if gauge reads hotter at 60 as opposed to 30 or 40 then suspect your radiator.
      HTH
      Chris
      A6 Avant Tdi 110 because as the fuel prices keep going up I am so happy to be getting 649.8 miles to a tank of diesel!! (£50)

Comment

Working...
      X