thermostath modifying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thermostath modifying

In one of the threads I saw that drilling a hole in the thermostath is a quick (and dirty) solution to keep the watertemp a couple of degrease down.
    Has anyone more info/photo's ?
    Thanks in advance.

Mine sits at 94 degC when driving and gets to 100-103 when stopping at the traffic lights.
    S4 Rider

Not sure about the drilling thing. Never heard of it.
    Mine is behaving in much the same way. Below 90 when on the move but rises quite quickly when stopped at lights. It never used to do this. Used to sit at about 85 constantly.
    AS far as I understand an S2 should be just below 90 all the time.
    I was gonna look into changing the thermostat as a first step.

103 seems very hot but I am no expert in these things(still learning)
    Jon

91 3b S2

Now Sold

Comment

Ah I see you are called s4 rider. I guess you own an s4!!! should have looked more closely.
      I know even less about those.
      Jon

91 3b S2

Now Sold

Comment

Originally posted by s4_rider
        In one of the threads I saw that drilling a hole in the thermostath is a quick (and dirty) solution to keep the watertemp a couple of degrease down.
        Thanks in advance.

Mine sits at 94 degC when driving and gets to 100-103 when stopping at the traffic lights.

I found this one:http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...914813361&rd=1
        Quattro Turbo Mega Giga

Comment

You can also use the VR6 thermostat which opens at 80ºc. Part number 075 121 113 D.

Ben
          the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
          1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Thanks in advance.

I have indeed heard of this method and it works. I haven't personally tried it, however, a friend of mine does it all the time. It is better to gut get one that opens at lower temps.
            Joe "NoNonsense"
            axis motorsport
            joe@axismotorsport.com

"At the end of the game, the king and the pawn go back in the same box."

Comment

think its a trick that gets done on Renault 5 GTT's as they run very hot.
              but, depending on your climate , in the uk IMO if your stat is working correctly and your cooling system is working properly you dont need to do this, and bin your aux rad and it will even run cooler.

martin

Comment

Originally posted by martinjs
                but, depending on your climate , in the uk IMO if your stat is working correctly and your cooling system is working properly you dont need to do this, and bin your aux rad and it will even run cooler.

martin
                yeah, what's the point of the aux radiator?
                Joe "NoNonsense"
                axis motorsport
                joe@axismotorsport.com

"At the end of the game, the king and the pawn go back in the same box."

Comment

Originally posted by martinjs

martin
                  O.K is this fact? I'm still torn between removing the aux rad or replacing it as mine is in a bad way.

My concern is will it place greater strain on the main rad and make it go pop quicker?

Because it must have been placed in the S2 for a reason?

And yes the Renault 5 guys do this, the R5 is one of the hardcest cars to keep cool

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo
                    O.K is this fact? I'm still torn between removing the aux rad or replacing it as mine is in a bad way.

My concern is will it place greater strain on the main rad and make it go pop quicker?

Because it must have been placed in the S2 for a reason?

And yes the Renault 5 guys do this, the R5 is one of the hardcest cars to keep cool
                    well mine runs cooler with it off and so did marks when it was running last, thing a couple of other people have said the same too, if your unsure just take it of and put some bungs in (dont join them together!!) to see what yours runs like if you dont notice a difference take them out.

agreed on the R5 though, the fan was constantly running on mine, and dont mention perc fans..lol, i got sick of them things melting so made my own (modified) version using a astra heater motor, worked a treat

martin

Comment

lol, quality!! Astra heater motor, where you a member of the RTOC club? mate of mine is a big wig in the R5 world, i have unfond memories of helping him till 3am in the morning when not 1 not 2 but 3 wheel bolts snaped into the hub!!

Yeh the pre-rad thing is a strange one, i would have thought it would have worked better in series rather than parrallel to the main rad (maybe after going through the main-rad first). anybody know the technical reasons for having it?

I'll put it on my to-do list.

Comment

Mine runs cooler with it off. Takes serious driving or a distance of more than 15-20 miles to move the notch from 70 ish to 80 ish degrees (guessing - a few notches of fthe 90 tho).

More importantly, it allows you to get at the front end much much faster.

PJ
                        'The Bacofoil Express'...

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo
                          lol, quality!! Astra heater motor, where you a member of the RTOC club?.
                          no, one of my mates had one also, had nothing but trouble with it, blew the engine up about 4 times..lol, was quite lucky with mine, only blew head gasket once. wasnt modded that much...165hp

agree with apness regarding better access with rad removed.

martin

Comment

All honda termostats have a small hole in them so slowly flow water past when its closed. The theory must be sound...

Thanks in advance.

91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                            93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                            94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

The auxillary radiator was an optional extra as part of a towing pack on my 1989 Coupe 2.2E - It might just be a carry over from that - stick it on becasue they ahave already designed it?

My car's temp is moving up and down in traffic - I have changed the thermostat but made no difference - might change it again!

I had a couple R5GTT - I loved the feel of them after I "chipped" them but never went any further than that - too fragile - although the biggest problem I had was the anti-perc fan not working - then when it did, it woke the neighbours up at night! Chipped in these cars means a bigger fuel nozzle in the carb and a 'calibrated' hole in a hose.
                              S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Working...
                              X