Differential problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differential problem

I recently put my 3b S2 in for a service and they told me that there was an oil leak from the rear diff. they quoted me something ridiculous to change the seal, so I decided to get a mate to do it. He had a look at it but cannot get the diff plug out (must be rusted solid). have tried all the usual tricks: Dw40, blow torch to heat it up etc. but the thing wont budge! anyone have any ideas how to shift it? And if it wont come out, what would my options be?

cheers

Can you get the fill plug out ?
    sigpic
    "For what you spent on that you could have brought a new car"
    BUT I DON'T WANT A NEW CAR!

1995 S2 Avant, Volcano Black
    1982 VW Golf Mk1, primer yellow, will be finished one day, maybe.
    2003 VW T4 long nose X pack, (has become project)

Comment

Get an oxy torch on it and hope for the best - failing that if you can get the filler plug out then drop the diff and drain / refill from there.

I had a properly siezed plug, oxy torch on it and nothing, tried welding a bar onto it and it just shapped off leaving most of the plug gnarled up in the housing.
      So I bored the plug out and got a bling stainless plug and copper washer machined up
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

failing that if you can get the filler plug out then drop the diff and drain / refill from there.

my thoughts exactly

just stick a load of news paper down and remove the drive shaft flange.
        Oil will go every where and stink of cats pi**. then just refill through filler plug.

Best piece of advice I ever received was never to undo a drain plug before you undoing the fill plug.

cheers

rich
        sigpic
        "For what you spent on that you could have brought a new car"
        BUT I DON'T WANT A NEW CAR!

1995 S2 Avant, Volcano Black
        1982 VW Golf Mk1, primer yellow, will be finished one day, maybe.
        2003 VW T4 long nose X pack, (has become project)

Comment

Working...
        X