• Show
Clear All

So, how much is the oem rings?

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
    Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
    BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
    BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

tooooo much , if you are asking to me. in my country around 35 euro per piston.. FAK CROATIA

Comment

Ha, that is cheap! Found info on our finnish forum that a full set of oem rings cost 385e back in 2005.

Seems also the mkII 16v golf rings fits without problems. Dont know about the price tough..?

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

There is two different types of rings available via KS. They do a sort of cheap one with a square top ring and then a more expensive tapered top ring one. The taper top ring takes less time to bed in and hasn't got the problem of the top ring becoming damaged from high cyl temps/boost pressures that stock rings suffer from.

The 16v piston rings from GSF are cheap as chips pick them up for £30 for a set of 4 +VAT. Whereas the KS ones are around £22.5-27.5 per piston. The 16v ones fit perfectly however the material composition is not suited to forced induction engines and are prone to becoming brittle over time it's a you get what you pay for scenario.

The same with using stock bearings vs sputter bearings. Sputter bearings cost a fortune but we all know what happens to engine builds that have them fitted incorrectly or not at all.

my 2p
          UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

whats wrong with paying £140 for a set of genuine rings

I'm sat here considering a set of accralite pistons and carillo rods for my avant which is about £2000

When you think about the hundreds of pounds we all spend on bling and tuning parts... theres no point cutting corners on the parts which really matter....

Comment

You should be careful with ks rings.They are 2 tipes.I can not get my deales page opened but i had to choose from 2 tipes,one beeing coated that should be used in a new cilinder because it wears very slow and will fitt very hard worn cilinders.(try to find info about mo and cr coatings)

Found it:https://onlineshop.ms-motor-service....usertype=guest

and

Both are std but coating differs
              A set of 5 costed about 120 eur my price(company discount)
              Regards

Comment

^^^^ I believe I mentioned this in the previous post however here is a more clarified explanation.

Square faced Chromium plated rings (12000) like supplied OEM (cheaper ones) are ideal for new bores. Where usually the chromium outer layer is plated at a minimum thickness of 0.003" and theoretically lasts virtually the life of the engine. If subjected to abrasive wear, due either to poor oil filtration, or honing grit left in the bore after honing, the layer of chromium will wear away, exposing steel." Likewise on high combustion temperature big boost FI engines I have found the chromium to chip away.

The taper ones (11000) are the molybdenum inlaid top rings, which bed in quicker and are more suited reconditioned bores and big boost figures with high combustion temperatures. Where an engine which has molybdenum inlaid top have a much greater wear resistance allowing the top ring to be tapered in order to give less contact surface for quicker break in times. Such is the wear resistance of the molybdenum inlay that you will struggle to see any signs of wear on the outer edge of a worn ring compared to that of a chromium plated one.

hth JP
                UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

Originally posted by Thuppu View Post
                  Ha, that is cheap! Found info on our finnish forum that a full set of oem rings cost 385e back in 2005.

Seems also the mkII 16v golf rings fits without problems. Dont know about the price tough..?

hahah the price can't be the same in Croatia or Finland.. my month payout is 500 euro. so than 175 euro only for a piston ring are too much. GEOTZE which I use on my car are more than good for price of 100 euro... and friend from germany have the samo on his s4 500+ hp.

money is yours , you can buy where you want ,and what you want..

Comment

Found and won a full set of 5 new genuine audi rings from ebay germany, 160e shipped.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

todays price 487€ from finlands dealer

Comment

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Just been having a read through and looks like the KS 800001011000 tapered rings are the ones to go for on a rebuild
                          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Can someone please help me confirm that these are in fact 800001011000 that fits my S2:
                            http://www.ebay.de/itm/4-x-Kolbenrin...item43c47e5666

I am not trusting my vision right now.
                            It is a very good price if its the right part.
                            Audi S2 -1994 | 480 Hp 650 Nm | FlexFuel | MaxxECU | 3" Stainless | Porsche GT3 Front Brakes
                            http://www.garaget.org/?car=52877

Comment

What happened with Acidburn, he's not online since 29th / 8 /2013/
                              RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
                              BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
                              LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

Originally posted by k.alle View Post
                                Can someone please help me confirm that these are in fact 800001011000 that fits my S2:
                                http://www.ebay.de/itm/4-x-Kolbenrin...item43c47e5666

I am not trusting my vision right now.
                                It is a very good price if its the right part.
                                Anyone? Would like order it today!
                                Audi S2 -1994 | 480 Hp 650 Nm | FlexFuel | MaxxECU | 3" Stainless | Porsche GT3 Front Brakes
                                http://www.garaget.org/?car=52877

Comment

Working...
                                X