X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABY Crank locking tool - Part No?

Hello,
    Is there such a thing as a dedicated ABY crank locking tool?
    The 2084 doesn't seem to work as it is too shallow to engage the boss in the pulley, and I believe the 3256, although deeper, is for the AAN.
    So does anyone have access to official documentation to confirm the existance of such a beast?
    Cheers!

Not sure, s2central states the 3256 is for aby,aan,adu
    i think doug or mark h may know more

martin

Comment

The 3256 ia listed on ERWIN as being for the ABY.

See pics below for the differences:

Here is the 3256 in situ on the engine. 2079 is the vibration damper spanner.

HTH,

Ben
      the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
      1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Originally posted by martinjs
        Not sure, s2central states the 3256 is for aby,aan,adu
        i think doug or mark h may know more

martin

Well, Steve does now! He has spent most of the day struggling to rig something together!
        Interesting that 3526 is listed as the correct one for the ABY. The illustration shows fitment on the AAN. The AAN does not have the alt mount so the locking tool bolts to the block,using the block itself to resist movement. I suppose it would be possible just to remove the alt mount and use this.
        The problem seems to be that the crank pulley on the ABY is deeper than the 3b to accomodate the serp belt. I'm sure that the AAN pulley is less deep than the 3b. To give an illustration, the wrench illustrated, 2079, is not deep enough to reach the pulley bolt, so something must be amiss somewhere!
        Watch this space for an update. Thanks for the input so far.

Comment

That diagram is for an S4. I don't have diagrams for the S2 unfortunately. ERWIN lists the 2079 as the correct spanner for the ABY vibration damper (it also lists it against 3B and AAN engines) but the 3B, ABY and AAN dampers are different.

Ben
          the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
          1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Yep it was my car today that we tried to use it on and it definately does not have enough reach into the pulley to lock the engine up. We made up a makeshift tool in the end that just about managed to lock up the engine long enough for the torque wrench to click at 450 NM......it then fell apart, but it did the trick OK.

Cheers,

Mark.
            Mark - Modded

Comment

I have made a few crank locking tools and are at work in my locker, all i need to do is aquire the right angle for the reaction bar to be welded on. I need to know the position of the key within the crank pulley when the engine is at TDC so i can bend the bars to the right angle (which is going to be 3 0 clock so they can react against an axle stand taking away all the strain off the engine and car) then weld the bar on.
              Graham
              Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

3256 does not fit the ABY/ADU with aircon. You will need the 2084 for that.

BTDT

Comment

Originally posted by Bram View Post

BTDT
                  It can be made easily to fit, see the Gallery for Jon441cc pics.

I modified mine with the same technique and it worked perfectly

Comment

Good info! I was not aware of this modification. Thanks

Comment

Tip if you can't find a good spacer just use Nuts for the spacers

Comment

Originally posted by Bram View Post

BTDT
                        Right, following on from this, i did a quick google and found this...

http://www.audifans.com/kb/2084_-_Crank_Locking_tool

Anybody tried this or know if it will work as a locking tool??

If it does, my plan is to lock the crank, apply a very heavy continuous load to the bolt for about an hour, then tw@ it! I know this method works amazingly for tight bolts

if that doesnt work, i have a 5ft breaker bar and big steel pipe
                        1996 Audi S2 - 295bhp and 326lb/ft - Complete Rebuild Project

1994 Audi 80 - 2.0 8v (slow but reliable!)

Comment

2084 wrong tool for ABY, are you in bromsgrove? I have a tool I don't normally lend it out as someone broke my other crank locking tool

Comment

yes im either in Birmingham Uni or the joys of bromsgrove...if there was any chance you would be rewarded for your kindness
                            1996 Audi S2 - 295bhp and 326lb/ft - Complete Rebuild Project

1994 Audi 80 - 2.0 8v (slow but reliable!)

Comment

Working...
                            X