Turbo inlet alternative to hard pipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo inlet alternative to hard pipe?

Can you use 4" tube / ducting on the turbo inlet to air filter?

i.e a product such as this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

If it's air tight then why the hell not... you gonna run a cold air intake from the front bumper grill or something? Thinking of sucking up any bunnies that get in your way?
    AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

No I need to move the air filter so I either have to have new 4" hard pipe made or look at alternative cheaper solutions!

Comment

Don't see why not as long as the turbo won't suck it flat, though that should only occur if the air filter is restricting flow.
        Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
        Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Those hoses create quite alot of turbulence. A mate of mine went from low 10 sec runs to steady high 9,s when he removed his hose and fit the filter direct to the turbo. Just my 2p.
          Audi 80 Competition -94 Daily driver

www.garaget.org/fish for more pic´s of my cars

Comment

Fitting a filter to the turbo is not possible in this case

Comment

Please can you tell me why you are changing location, as I have a simular setup

Thanks
              RS 2 580HP

Comment

The nth person to ask that, why does anything have to be wrong? it's personal I need it in a different location away from an aircon pipe

Comment

It call learning so I or others do not make the same mistake, this forum is for sharing info ?

I have used a 7" AEM filter which just fits in front of that A/c pipe And have fitted a filter minder to keep a eye on the filter seems ok at the present
                  RS 2 580HP

Comment

If its ribbed so it wont suck closed it should be ok, personally i dont like the look of it. Would prefer to have a hard pipe with flexible connectors. What size is the inlet on the turbo? Thinking it might be better to use a reducer piece and fit a larger diameter solid pipe. e.g say the turbo inlets 3" use a 3" to 4" reducer then a 4" hard pipe. I just have a gut feeling the size and shape of the turbo inlet would be important to get right.
                    91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                    93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                    94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Why are you changing location

Seriously though you could mark up the pipe 102mm aluminum hard pipe we made and i can alter it and reinforce the ends with some thicker gauge stuff?
                      Chef

Comment

You could use for a quick and simple solution and see how it goes - the coil will stop it getting sucked flat at least... However, I'd say that you'd want to design something to fit and forget, as a replacement, then you know it's spot on.
                        Cheers'en, AndyC
                        1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

You can't bend a 4" hose very radical without getting it flat. You need to use a elbow hose or a hard pipe.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
                          Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
                          BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
                          BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

you can get double skinned reinforced ducting. The coils are covered inside so will be better.

Ask before you buy to be sure. Alot of the cheaper ebay stuff tends to be steel (copper/brass is better) wire and single skin.

Could go for larger bore and oval it.?
                            Volcano ABY coupe

Ant

Comment

Originally posted by terrybullwon View Post
                              Why are you changing location

Seriously though you could mark up the pipe 102mm aluminum hard pipe we made and i can alter it and reinforce the ends with some thicker gauge stuff?
                              The filter needs to move down as it's getting crushed by the aircon pipe

Yeah I want to extend onto the existing pipe, I could just buy some 4" joiners and have them welded together

Comment

Working...
                              X