How 2 tke coil packs off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How 2 tke coil packs off

Hello everyone, im just wondering how to take the coil packs off. It seems like an mission i dont want to break anything. Im wondering if they come off the metal bit of from the plug thats connected to them ?? any ideas

They unbolt from the coilpack cover but all the wires are connected to the plugs - so you need to cut and splice them to change them - Do not cut any wires too close to the coilpack or the connectors as it can be a right pain if you need to trim them again - make sure the soldered joints are not forced round a bend as it can crack the joint.
    S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

i managed to unbolt them off the cover, but the problem was with one is that while the car is running there is a missfire. When i take out the second injector plug it doesnt make a diffrence. So i am assuming that it it either the coil pack or an injector. Looks like this job gonna b expensive one

Comment

Originally posted by Anees786
        i managed to unbolt them off the cover, but the problem was with one is that while the car is running there is a missfire. When i take out the second injector plug it doesnt make a diffrence. So i am assuming that it it either the coil pack or an injector. Looks like this job gonna b expensive one

Hi!,

It will be expensive if you change something that isn't faulty. They ain't cheap coils (@£80 I think) and are not a direct replacement. Like others have said you have to slice them into the old loom.
        If you think that taking the plug of no 2 injector doesn't do anything, i.e. the car still missfires, then surely it would indicate a duff injector. Weren't you going to check that out first. I suppose you could swop no2 inj with another and see if the fault follows the injector around.

Comment

Hmmm i could do, that a good idea. Thanks where would i be without the forum is swapping the injectors a easy job just simple taking in and out or will i need a special tool

Comment

to remove injectors I would "STRONGLY" advise you to do it with the engine cold and have a cloth to soak up the petrol.

You will need to remove the 5 eletcrical connectors.
            Then rmove the 5 u shaped clips that lock the injectors to the fuel rail.
            You then remove the 2 M6 bolts that hold the rail to the inlet manifold.
            Now you have lift the rail off the injectors - some injectors might come out with the rail - you should use a bit if silicon grease on the rubber seals - it makes them pop into the rail and the inlet manifold a lot easier.

Swap injectors and fit back - make sure it is not leaking or any seals are damaged before you let the car fire up.

Could also be the power amplifiers - you can swap the 2 over( swap the in and out connectors on them - if it is still number 2 not firing - it is NOT the power amplifiers. If it moves it is one of the power amplifiers.

HTH

Comment

Hiya guys, managed to change the injectors around. No luck its still the second clip when i take off makes no diffrence. I also followed your advice doug changed the connectors of the amplifier still made no diffrence so im suggesting that it is the second coil pack that needs replacing. Thanks for the advice

Comment

Hiya guys, managed to change the injectors around. No luck its still the second clip when i take off makes no diffrence. I also followed your advice doug changed the connectors of the amplifier still made no diffrence so im suggesting that it is the second coil pack that needs replacing. Thanks for the advice

******!

I like simple solutions. Is the missfire regular or intermitant?
                Probably stating the obvious but are your plugs fresh?
                I know that they are not the cheapest things in the world either but again its a relatively easy thing to change and part of a vehicles routine maintenance. Not sure what the results were but some listers were measuring the resistances of the coil packs to try and identify duff ones.

Comment

There wasn't a definitive answer on the conductance of the output of the coilpacks - but it is worth measuring to see if there is a big difference betweeen coilpacks - hopefully no 2 shows as being different to the others.

Comment

Hello,
                    I see from other threads you have relaced the plugs.
                    Time to bite the bullet. Use the link on the home page to Paul N's site S2 Central. Look for the pages on how to pull the fault codes. Follow the instructions.
                    It might give you some idea of what the fault is. If the car is clever enough to talk to you ,might as well listen!
                    After all, I think its a rite of passage for S2 owners.

Comment

i had a missfire on 5 so the coil pack and a amplifier after a short journey no 3 started a missfire so changed the coil on that but it was still the same,just about to change the other amp when we noticed that one of the connections wasnt quite on right so put it back on and its fine i was gonna sell but have just been out and it is forgiven so its worth checking all the connections are ok
                      skint but fast

Comment

hiya every one still tryig to sort out the missfire i tried swapping number 2 coil packs over to number 1 but when i tried starting the car it woudnt start i got told if i swapped the coil packs around if the missfire jumped i would have my result. I think i've made things worse bu taking all the coil packs off dont think i put them back on the cover propeerly the wiring on them is sh**te why coudnt audi make our life a little bit easier

Comment

Missfire

hiya every one still tryig to sort out the missfire i tried swapping number 2 coil packs over to number 1 but when i tried starting the car it woudnt start i got told if i swapped the coil packs around if the missfire jumped i would have my result. I think i've made things worse bu taking all the coil packs off dont think i put them back on the cover propeerly the wiring on them is sh**te why coudnt audi make our life a little bit easier

I had exactly the same problem a couple of months ago ( cylinder 2 not fireing ).......

replaced plugs....

replaced coil pack......

replaced 2nd injector........

had 3 compression tests..........

had 2 diagnostic tests....................

TO NO AVAIL!

Took the car to C.E.S garage in Digbeth Birmingham and they detected the fault as ignition module and complety rewired the loom for all coil packs. They charged me 100 quid all in. Top garage...

Comment

Have you got the number and address for C.E.S garage, seems like a handy one to have especially as it's local!

Comment

C.e.s

Originally posted by Jamo
                              Have you got the number and address for C.E.S garage, seems like a handy one to have especially as it's local!
                              They are on Upper Trinity Street Digbeth ( just by blues ground roundabout ).
                              You cant miss em' ( massive bosch electronics sign outside ). Tel No : 0121 7714720

Comment

Working...
                              X