A4 1.8T troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A4 1.8T troubles

Has anyone ever heard of 1.8T lumps losing oil pressure?? Beckys 'new' car has just lost oil pressure and is knocking like a *******. We have only done 150 miles since buying it and havent even thrashed it yet The end result is the engine is badly damaged. And the seller (trader) earlier on today wasnt interested in doing anything about it. Trading Stds, say that we have a strong case for a refund, but the annoying bit is i have just replaced all the brakes front and rear and also fitted a new thermostat :@ Not an easy job to say the least.
    sigpic
    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
    Audi UR Quattro
    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Originally posted by audiman
    Has anyone ever heard of 1.8T lumps losing oil pressure?? Beckys 'new' car has just lost oil pressure and is knocking like a *******. We have only done 150 miles since buying it and havent even thrashed it yet The end result is the engine is badly damaged. And the seller (trader) earlier on today wasnt interested in doing anything about it. Trading Stds, say that we have a strong case for a refund, but the annoying bit is i have just replaced all the brakes front and rear and also fitted a new thermostat :@ Not an easy job to say the least.

Tom,
    Ask CHEN to comment. I was down there several months ago with SteveH and they were doing a roaring trade in rebuilding the lumps. Think it was the oil pumps. The car was an A6 with the 1.8t lump.

Comment

Originally posted by twoqu
      Tom,
      Ask CHEN to comment. I was down there several months ago with SteveH and they were doing a roaring trade in rebuilding the lumps. Think it was the oil pumps. The car was an A6 with the 1.8t lump.
      HI I WORK WITH CHEN ,THE PROBLEM ISTHE OIL PUMP PICKUP BLOCKED (VERY COMMON A4/A6TURBO) LACK OF OIL CHANGES .IF YOU THINK BACK TO FORDS RS TURBO IT WAS ON ABOUT 4,000MILE OIL CHANGES & AUDI IS 10,000MILES .THERE IS NO BIG DIFFERENCE IN THE TURBO .WHEN EVER I GET A TURBO ENGINE IN FOR SERVICE I AWAYS TRY TO GET THE CUSTOMER TO LET US FLUSH THE ENGINE & RECOMMEND THEY BRING THERE OIL CHANGES DOWN TO ABOUT 6,000MILES TO TRY AND STOP THE PICK UP FROM BLOCKING

Comment

Cheers for the info on the car. Im a mechanic too and always rec. change oil more often than 10k. The newer stuff is on upto 18k intervals. Crazy. The engine has gone past it, its making some real nasty noises.

I did think about the oil pick up but it looks like the car is going back and we are getting a refund now
        sigpic
        Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
        Audi UR Quattro
        Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Audiman,

Here in Brazil this is very very common on A3, A4, Golfs, Passats with 1.8 T engines.
          Past thursday my wifes car a A3 1.8 N/A got the same problems. Here in Brazil it happens more often, because our poor gas and of course high mileage oil changes. Try to check the turbo lub. hoses it usually gets full of oil dust and you know the rest break your turbo. The Passats lost their retail values due to this kind of problems.
          It usually starts by the oil light comming on and off ... and than you probably get your engine and turbo hoses blocked.
          S2 Limo sold !!!
          M5 E34 with some mods in the garage
          sorry, but much happeir now !

Comment

Providing all goes well with the refund of this car. I will be removng the sump on the next one just to clean/clean the oil strainer. Not risking it again. Also will be replacing the turbo oil feed pipe for the modified part. Dont want to take any risks with it.

You earn something every day. This week, i have been mostly learning about 1.8T engines being *****
            sigpic
            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
            Audi UR Quattro
            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Originally posted by towerhurst
              HI I WORK WITH CHEN ,THE PROBLEM ISTHE OIL PUMP PICKUP BLOCKED (VERY COMMON A4/A6TURBO) LACK OF OIL CHANGES .IF YOU THINK BACK TO FORDS RS TURBO IT WAS ON ABOUT 4,000MILE OIL CHANGES & AUDI IS 10,000MILES .THERE IS NO BIG DIFFERENCE IN THE TURBO .WHEN EVER I GET A TURBO ENGINE IN FOR SERVICE I AWAYS TRY TO GET THE CUSTOMER TO LET US FLUSH THE ENGINE & RECOMMEND THEY BRING THERE OIL CHANGES DOWN TO ABOUT 6,000MILES TO TRY AND STOP THE PICK UP FROM BLOCKING
              Had to have Audi Assist out to the S3 a couple of months ago as the dealer goofed changing the brake switch and the brake lights were permanently on. Audi Assist bloke said there'd been a lot of problems with the longitudinally mounted 1.8T engine effectively getting bunged up on longer interval services on the variable servicing. He recommended more regular oil changes and flushing the engine.

His S3 has had 5,000 mile oil changes with the recommended VW 503 01 spec oil. What do you recommend flushing the engine with? And what about the 1.9 TDIs?
              Last edited by Cobstar; 30 September 2004, 08:03.

Comment

Use a good quality engine flush, Wynns pro. product is very good. And change oil every 5k miles. It costs £20 to change the oil and then you get no problems.
                sigpic
                Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                Audi UR Quattro
                Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Originally posted by Cobstar
                  Had to have Audi Assist out to the S3 a couple of months ago as the dealer goofed changing the brake switch and the brake lights were permanently on. Audi Assist bloke said there'd been a lot of problems with the longitudinally mounted 1.8T engine effectively getting bunged up on longer interval services on the variable servicing. He recommended more regular oil changes and flushing the engine.

His S3 has had 5,000 mile oil changes with the recommended VW 503 01 spec oil. What do you recommend flushing the engine with? And what about the 1.9 TDIs?
                  also try FORTE if you can"t get any let me know i will send you some.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobstar

Hi Cobstar, My 1.9 tdi (110) gets oil and filter changes every 4-6,000 and I use fully synthetic. Audi dealer who originally serviced car told me they always use shell helix. We have customer with V passat Tdi (130) that has done 420,000miles on semi-synthetic.
                    HTH
                    Chris
                    A6 Avant Tdi 110 because as the fuel prices keep going up I am so happy to be getting 649.8 miles to a tank of diesel!! (£50)

Comment

Hi Guys

Thanks for the advice re products for flushing the engine and oil changes. All our cars get 5k oil changes - and the two we've had from new always have. Have to confess I'm not sure whether the TDI gets synthetic, it definitely gets oil to the VW spec in the handbook.

The diesel is a SEAT with the VAG 1.9 TDI (130 bhp) engine. And the SEAT dealer is great (sales and servicing). Shame the same can't be said of the local Audi dealers - particular as the S3 cost double what the SEAT did. The RS2 is in safe hands with a local independent but as the others are still under warranty they go to the main dealer currently.

Comment

but as the others are still under warranty they go to the main dealer currently
                        This has changed, depending on how old your new cars are. If they came with 3 years manufacturers warranty then any VAT registered garage can service it using OE spares. If the cars have 2 years man. and 1 year dealer then you still have to take them to the dealer.
                        sigpic
                        Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                        Audi UR Quattro
                        Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Originally posted by audiman
                          This has changed, depending on how old your new cars are. If they came with 3 years manufacturers warranty then any VAT registered garage can service it using OE spares. If the cars have 2 years man. and 1 year dealer then you still have to take them to the dealer.
                          Hi Tom

Thanks for that. I knew changes had been made but hadn't looked into the implications. I'll go and have a look at what the warranties say. Don't have a problem with the diesel going to Westerham SEAT given the service and the fact they don't charge an arm and a leg. But given the problems with our local Audi dealers, I'd happily take the car somewhere else.

Comment

Working...
                          X