Fuel Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Filter

Hi everybody, I need put a new fuel filter on my S2 Avant, but I can´t put the old one off!!!

The fuel reservatory have 2 kind of belts, that I have taked off, but the reservartory don´t get out!
    It have a part that goes over the rear differential!

I hope that we don´t need to take the fuel reservatory out to change the fuel filter... any one can help me???

Thanks,
    Rafael Pinto
    Audi S2 1994/1995 Avant - Black
    Audi RS2 1994/1995 - Black

Hi Rafael,

the fuel filter on the Avants is 'fitted for life' and by Audi's book, we never change it! now in the real world!! ;-) this is mad! no way can a fuel filter be on for life of the car.

To change the fuel filter by the book, you have to remove the propshaft and remove the fuel tank from the car so you can get to the two bands that hold on the filter!! mad huh?

Charlie on this forum, he managed to chage his Avant fuel filter just by undoing the tank straps and lowering teh tank a bit, then levered the tank a bit to get more room and he managed to change the filter.

It is not an easy job :-( good luck with yours! if you find an easy way to change it, tell us all here please!!
    Martyn
    -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

according to servicing schedule it should be changed every 60K, thats from autodata.

Greg
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

That's wrong Greg.

Avants are never! like a lot of Audi's these days.

Originally posted by Greg_S
        according to servicing schedule it should be changed every 60K, thats from autodata.

Greg
        Martyn
        -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

LOL, should have put for the coupe on the end shouldnt I

What is the difference in the filters between coupe & avant?
          Greg

Comment

They don't have the same fuel requirements as the coupe, Avant drivers don't go very fast as it upsets the labradors and wellies in the back.

I think Lee could be excepted from this cover all insult....

I haven't heard of him for a while, is he in the garage cooking up something?

David

Comment

causing trouble there stick?? hee hee

very funny tho!!
              '92 S2 - Bent now

Comment

Originally posted by S2-racer
                causing trouble there stick?? hee hee

very funny tho!!
                I'm 6 foot six and can run very fast when needed ( always away from trouble) .

I have one of the slowest cars on the forum and so I can't talk!

David

Comment

The coupe filter is quite a bit bigger than the avant one.

Lee actually used a coupe filter on his avant to avoid dropping the fuel tank. By snipping the bracket to remove the old filter he just wedged the bigger coupe filter up there without the bracket.
                  Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

sounds a bit dodgy to me, so if the avant one is smaller than the coupe one why is it not down to be changed in the service schedule?

Greg
                    Greg

Comment

sounds a bit dodgy to me, so if the avant one is smaller than the coupe one why is it not down to be changed in the service schedule?

Greg
                      Probably because Audi knew it was a PITA job ?

AFAIK Lee never had any problems.
                      Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Martynf

Charlie on this forum, he managed to chage his Avant fuel filter just by undoing the tank straps and lowering teh tank a bit, then levered the tank a bit to get more room and he managed to change the filter.

It is not an easy job :-( good luck with yours! if you find an easy way to change it, tell us all here please!!
                        That's exactly the way my local specialst (Dave Underwood) did mine. Only charged me £15 plus the price of the filter said it was a PITA though!
                        Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

Originally posted by Avant S2
                          AFAIK Lee never had any problems.
                          Lee had big problems - his car was running lean before it was remapped - luckily he got a custom remap so it was spotted when all the gauges were connected. If he had got a generic set of chips he would have been none the wiser and would have caused some damage. All because of the fuel filter - Mihnea recommends you change that before any remap work is done.
                          S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Originally posted by Doug_RS2
                            Lee had big problems...
                            Touché. I meant after he changed the filter
                            Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

PITA to change, Audi have a reputation for not changing fuel filters. The interval on Autodata is a bit out of date(even if you look on the new version) as Audi changed there filter change interval to 80k miles, with no time limit. So you will often find that cars with low miles will never have had it changed even if the car is 10 years old+

Thats Audi's way of doing fixed price servicing, it cuts the costs down, making it look like its cheaper to run.

IMHO as a mechanic, a large sized filter like that of the Coupe should be changed at about 40k miles or 4 years. Something like a Vectra has a very small filter so i would change them at 20k intervals.

The Avant has a small filter IIRC, so this should be also changed every couple of years or 20-30k miles. This may cost more as far as servicing goes, but prevention is better than cure.

As Doug said, if Lee had not had custom mapping, he would never have known there was a problem. He could have ended up with all manner of damge, such as turbo failure and valve damage, due to the excessive heat produced in the engine. In severe cases it could damage more of the engine, as the oil is being 'fried' by the heat, which may cause the crankshaft bearings to not be lubricated properly (made worse by the stupid 10k mile oil changes!!)

Just my view
                              sigpic
                              Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                              Audi UR Quattro
                              Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                              Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                              Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Working...
                              X