No announcement yet.

Coupe Quattro-S2 Conversion Questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coupe Quattro-S2 Conversion Questions.

Hello everyone. I'm converting my Audi Coupe Quattro into a S2. Since I don't know too much about cars, and I don't know anything about the conversion. Could you guys please give me as much info about it as possible. I know they made a 1991 Audi 200 with the 2.2 20V that is in the S2. But they also made that same engine in the urS4/S6. Which one should I put in? Also, would my stock coupe transmission work with the new engine. I really don't mind having a 5 speed. I could always change that later down the road. I don't know if someone on here has already done this to their coupe, but if you have. Please help me out. Thanks alot!!

-Branden

Originally posted by coupe_quattro1
    Hello everyone. I'm converting my Audi Coupe Quattro into a S2. Since I don't know too much about cars, and I don't know anything about the conversion. Could you guys please give me as much info about it as possible. I know they made a 1991 Audi 200 with the 2.2 20V that is in the S2. But they also made that same engine in the urS4/S6. Which one should I put in? Also, would my stock coupe transmission work with the new engine. I really don't mind having a 5 speed. I could always change that later down the road. I don't know if someone on here has already done this to their coupe, but if you have. Please help me out. Thanks alot!!

-Branden
    Hi Branden, there are a couple of fellow americans on the forum who are doing / have done this.

what you are trying to build is an e/S2 or ersatz S2. There is a good web site ( nearly as good as the S2 forum!) www.20v.org and there is a section about the conversion. have a look rouind on the forum and you will come across them.

I have a CQ20v and not an S2

HTH

David

Comment

Well,

Perhaps you should first surf through some of the E/S2 pages? I think there are several of them.

The swap is quite straight forward to do with the 200 engine. I have figured that you don't really have s2 parts for sale there so you'll need s2 x-member, ic, boost pipes from Europe? Or other option is to go for custom ones.

Easiest would be if you could source a 3B S2 engine harness as everything with electrics would be bolt on, otherwise you'll need to get familiar with the schematics.

Transmission will fit (dunno if s2 flywheel and clutch is needed, probably). urS4 early engine from a 5spd car will definately fit straight as my friend just made such a swap. 01A 5spd can't handle really high power applications, so if you're planning to get much over 300hp out of the car in the future, 6spd or urs4 5spd would be quite reasonable way to go from the beginning.

with AAN you need to change the intake manifold to make room for the radiator. AAN IM can also be used, but then you'll need to remake the rad mounts as it will sit in quite a different angle. It can be done, my friend did this way. This way there will be no room for the A/C condenser.

With 3B or ABY IM you need to relocate the battery, with AAN manifold this is not a must.

If you have an A/C you need to have S2 oil pan extension and turbo oil drain pipe.

That's about the major issues, smaller things like hoses and such come along when you proceed.

HTH
      -

Comment

If you end up getting a 3b motor and a regular 200 wiring harness, I have a worksheet that might be helpful in getting you started with the necessary work on the harness.

Comment

Join the Motorgeek forums
          http://www.motorgeek.com
          The guys over there were not as fortunate to have the 2.2 Turbo engine available to them from the factory in the form of an S2 so most members were forced to convert there Coupe Quattro to a 2.2 Turbo.
          most if not all your questions will be answered there.
          Issam N. Abed
          iABED Industries
          iABED Email | Facebook
          The build thread

Comment

Working...
          X