Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TDC questions:

Hi everyone

I am in the process of running my motor on and off alot checking and rechecking everything.

Basically In the begining it was puking some nastyness from the downpipe and I expected it. This is what happens when you bring back to life a 120,000 kilometer motor.

Nothing to serious that a run with just a downpipe for a while won't clean out.
    It also had to do with the fact that the first time I ran the motor the oil I used was certainly too thin and some made it through into the combustion chamber. Now running 15w 50 cause thats the best I can get around here in the states for thick oil. I am on the look for 10w 60.

Well after that useless talk here we go to the question:

I pulled the ignition coils and took the intercooler setup off. I used a top dead center whistle to listen for tdc. I have a 7a flywheel and it's spot on timing for a 7a flywheel. Basically when I used the whistle it stopped about +-20 center-meters from the 7a TDC postion. This would shorten the compression stroke and decrease power correct? This would somewhat explain things on some one else's swap.

Also would the fact that the 7a motor is a 2.3L and the S2 motors are 2.2L have anything to do with it? Is that .1L difference noticed on the postion of the flywheel because it takes longer for the 7a motor to compress?

This is what the 7a flywheel TDC spot looks like through the viewing hole in the tranny.

Does audi setup postion TDC slightly before TDC? So that the ecu can control advance and retard situations?

OR is my 7a flywheel mark wrong and motronic is changing things accordingly to work with the current setup? I have a 7a crank pulley too. So I can't check for timing via the aby pulley becuase it's not there any longer.

I am waiting for vag-com to arrive on tuesday and then I can use vagscope to look at things more closely but opinions are appreciative.

Thanks
    Josh
    I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who need reasons when you've got quattro?

3B and 7A flywheels do have different part numbers, cant tell what the difference is tho. Is the car running badly then??

If you take out no. 1 plug and place a thin screwdriver into the hole, turn the crankshaft back and forth to see if no.1 piston is rightup in the bore. Whe it is check the notch on the flywheel in the access hole.

Does the 7A flywheel have the two pins on the front and 1 pin on the back of it???
    sigpic
    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
    Audi UR Quattro
    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Originally posted by audiman
      3B and 7A flywheels do have different part numbers, cant tell what the difference is tho. Is the car running badly then??

If you take out no. 1 plug and place a thin screwdriver into the hole, turn the crankshaft back and forth to see if no.1 piston is rightup in the bore. Whe it is check the notch on the flywheel in the access hole.

Does the 7A flywheel have the two pins on the front and 1 pin on the back of it???
      The car seems to be running preity well to be honest except for the fact the turbo is smoking. Tuesday I should get vagcom and hopefully will properly diagnose the situation if there is one or not. I could of sworn I had a screw driver in the spark plug hole when I first did timing but it was so long ago I don't remember. I suspect I will double check it again.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Cheers
      Josh
      I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who need reasons when you've got quattro?

Comment

Working...
      X