This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam timing confirmation

OK Just after confirmation that this is the correct position for the cams. If I move over 1 tooth it sits slightly higher (by 1/2 tooth) but which position is correct this one is slightly below the head top surface the other position slightly above it.

1986 Coupe q - 2281cc 3B, chargecooler, 2.75" exh & downpipe, ported head, water injection, CGR box, modified MD357 turbo, 440cc injectors, high power coil.
    2004 A4 2.5TDi convertible, re-mapped to 180bhp
    2011 A5 sportback 3TDi-Backbox delete, remap

Correct, those marks are for timing the cams in relation to each other, they have nothing to do with the timing belt setup.
    91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
    93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
    94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Originally posted by mcandmar View Post
      Correct, those marks are for timing the cams in relation to each other, they have nothing to do with the timing belt setup.
      Yep sorry, I meant if I move the chain over 1 tooth. If this is correct thats one less concern but doesn't help sussing the slow spool. Thanks
      1986 Coupe q - 2281cc 3B, chargecooler, 2.75" exh & downpipe, ported head, water injection, CGR box, modified MD357 turbo, 440cc injectors, high power coil.
      2004 A4 2.5TDi convertible, re-mapped to 180bhp
      2011 A5 sportback 3TDi-Backbox delete, remap

Comment

Basically if you have both marks closest to each other, then draw a line between both marks it should be parallel to the head if that makes sense. As per above pic..

Comment

P.S. Here is a pic from my 7A that Urs4boy has kindly added in visual aids. Basically the red line is parallel with the head, and at the center line of the cams.

Note it dosent line up exactly in the correct position as the cam pulley was moved ever so slightly before taking the pic, but you get the idea.

Comment

Consolidated Cam and Crank Pulley and Flywheel Timing Mark photos and diagrams

Originally posted by mcandmar View Post
            P.S. Here is a pic from my 7A that Urs4boy has kindly added in visual aids. Basically the red line is parallel with the head, and at the center line of the cams.
            So that is where I got that photo!! Thanks. I'll give you credit:

Consolidated Cam and Crank Pulley and Flywheel Timing Mark photos and diagrams
            RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
            94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Working...
            X