You can change the style the forum displays by selecting your preferred style at the bottom left of the site.
We have made an enhancement so that old threads should now link from search results to the correct thread. This is not yet in place for single post links
Oh well it was bound to happen sooner or later, That'll teach me for ignoring warning signs and oil pressure problems. Car finally died on way to work this morning recovered to my spanner man by RAC. No oil pressure, oil warning light then engine cut out and didn't want to start. Hopefully I haven't killed it totally, anyone know a good engine re-build company?
Obviously needs to be investigated - if the car won't start something broke - when it lost pressure did you kill the engine or did it die of it's own accord? When you tried to restart did it turn over at all?
If the engine siezed that's not going to be pretty, hopefully there's minimal damage done. If it needs to be opened I'd have a think about where you want to go with the car; would be a good opportunity to change all the bearings and likely you'll at least be re-ringing those pistons and rehoning the block.
If you read through my RS2 thread you'll see alot of the work can be done yourself with the tools and somewhere to put the car (I'm lucky to have a double garage!). I used JP to rebuild the motor and stage #2 the head, some logistics involved in getting him the engine but well worth it in the end. When you know the score with the engine put a project thread up
Cheers guys, engine decided to stop at a junction when I put the clutch down but I definitely felt her tighten up, Let her cool down turned engine on key, started but I switched her off again straight away, no pressure nasty sounds from top half of engine Bout time I started sorting her out properly anyway.
Having traveled this same road, I can realy feal for you,and if I can offer any advise it is this. Sit down and make a decision as to whether you want to keep the car long term or not.If not buy a second hand unit and fit that,job done and the cheapest route
If you want to keep the car, then deside if you want to keep it stock,depending on the damage found rebuild it,cost from £1000 upwards.third option is to go for more power,if this is the case you need to completly rebuild the engine, with uprated rods, bearings etc, which will require the help of engine builder to get the best results.
I used Aelred on this forum,that was the best decision I made.
When you make your decision stick to it,it is very easy to make the wrong one, so give it some thought at the start.
Good luck,and if I can help in any way let me know
Having traveled this same road, I can realy feal for you,and if I can offer any advise it is this. Sit down and make a decision as to whether you want to keep the car long term or not.If not buy a second hand unit and fit that,job done and the cheapest route
If you want to keep the car, then deside if you want to keep it stock,depending on the damage found rebuild it,cost from £1000 upwards.third option is to go for more power,if this is the case you need to completly rebuild the engine, with uprated rods, bearings etc, which will require the help of engine builder to get the best results.
I used Aelred on this forum,that was the best decision I made.
When you make your decision stick to it,it is very easy to make the wrong one, so give it some thought at the start.
Good luck,and if I can help in any way let me know
Definitely keeping the car not too fussed about massive increase in power up to 300bhp is well enough for me, thanks for the advice I will keep you all up to date on what happens next
Oh well engine is fu**** re-build or replace that is the question or scrap the car and cry lots. Answers on a postcard please to pi***d off as ****, bottom of a muddy pit, shi**ville
We process personal data about users of our site, through the use of cookies and other technologies, to deliver our services, personalize advertising, and to analyze site activity. We may share certain information about our users with our advertising and analytics partners. For additional details, refer to our Privacy Policy.
By clicking "I AGREE" below, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our personal data processing and cookie practices as described therein. You also acknowledge that this forum may be hosted outside your country and you consent to the collection, storage, and processing of your data in the country where this forum is hosted.
Comment