Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil pressure warning light

Hi,

One of my oil pressure sensors is acting up. I keep getting the low pressure warning (red, 3 beeps in autocheck), no matter what the rpm's are.

I've checked with a gauge, and oil pressure is fine.

Any clues as to what sensor I should try to replace first?
    If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

-CQ 3b "S2".

The smaller of the two, single pin output located just above the larger two pin sender. I'm 99% sure will sort your problem as long as you have tested pressure with a proper gauge.

Check the connection to the sender first, it could have just come off.
    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Err, if you're getting the warning regardless of RPM then it's the lower (pressure) of the two low pressure oil switches that's playing up and that one is combined with the oil pressure sender so it's the larger of the two sensors on the block behind the water pump with two connections on it.

For this oil pressure switch you can test it by disconnecting the wire to it and seeing if the warning goes away - always assuming you really do have oil pressure!

John

Comment

Fair play, your right. I stand corrected. Must engage brain before posting, had only had one cup of Coffee at 8.30, thought the single pin was the low pressure switch but it's not.

And yes you can test this one by disconnecting it as described above.
        Last edited by K Simmonds; 7 April 2012, 11:41. Reason: more info

Comment

I had a similar problem, unplugged it to fix the issue
          Mine would give me the warning with the ignition on, engine not even running.

Did anyone ever find a compatible aftermarket VDO sender? OE ones cost a small fortune from the dealer and it can't be long before they are NLA
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Not exactly but I did get round the problem by replacing the combined oil pressure sender and low pressure switch unit with a "t" piece into the block and then fitting a seperate oil pressure sender - that came with a Glowshift 270 degree oil pressure gauge and a seperate low pressure switch. Mine came from a mini but a standard VAG switch from a Polo or Golf would do.

John

Comment

nice solution, I guess to retain the OE VDO's we'd need to find a sender with the same voltage range?
              IIRC AndyP tried an aftermarket VDO one, but there were issues fitting it? Wonder how he go on..
              I'm sure he will be along shortly
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Yup, I also had the problem with ignition on and engine not running.

Unplugged it, no more warning. I still feel uncomfortable knowing it doesnt work though.

It's 29 pounds online. Seems ok.

-CQ 3b "S2".

Comment

Got a link ? to a new one
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Here you are!

-CQ 3b "S2".

Comment

That's a great price, however it's not a genuine VDO unit which puts me off a little. That said they could be fine, anyone heard of 'FAE', their not a manufacturer I'm familiar with.

Comment

They've been around since the 50's. It's a spanish company based in Barcelona.
                        They only do car electronics, and have got a ISO 9001 and a ISO 14001.
                        I've already bought one, so I'll let you know how it works

-CQ 3b "S2".

Comment

I found this, but none of them look right, with a low pressure switch, 5bar and m10 fitting:

http://www.partsforaircraft.co.uk/do...ech%20info.pdf
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Replaced mine with the FAE part linked above. Works fine so far. I have my doubts that it will work for 15+ years as did the last one, but if I get 5 years out of it im good.

-CQ 3b "S2".

Comment

Any one seen a two pin version of the low pressure warning switch?
                              Chef

Comment

Working...
                              X