Weird Idle - The Revenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Idle - The Revenge

First we had 'not idling' now here comes 'weird idle - the revenge'.

Initial problem was car would not idle - would start, hunt, then stall.

Took my ISV (idle stabiliise blah) off and squirted with carb cleaner, put back on, car running fine, idling 800, no probs. Drove around, no probs, pulled fault codes only 2111 so no probs.

Started engine today at 3.30am - 3.5 deg outside, damp and foggy - idled rough at 500, then rose to 700 (normal 800 when warm, 1200 ish when cold).

Anyway, had to go to work, so drove off, and a few hundred yards down the road, the car started 'surging' - accelerating of it's own accord. Put the clutch in, idle was 1500rpm surging to 1800!

Gritted teeth, drove on (kangarooing slightly up road), and as car warmed up, idle settled down to normal, surging disappeared, all as normal.

Obviously this is something to do with the cold starting thingummy - later, at 8am having got a flyer (4 hours at 'work' hehehe then going home ) car started fine, ran fine, no problems, despite outside temp being 5.5deg (though less damp and foggy).

Do we still think the Idle Stabilise valve could be dodgy? Am wondering if it might be the lambda probe instead/as well? Will pull the codes when I get to the garage (baby watching at moment, so typing q u i e t l y *shhhhh*)

Is it only the ISV that acts as 'cold start valve'? If so, I'll ring round the local motor factors for one - I think in another thread it lists the ISV as fitting onto everything, with only Audi charging extra for the invisible diamond encrusted version. Plus of course the boy Cockings states TB uses 1 off a cav 2.0 8v so that's something else to try.

Cheers, for any advice/help/cash donations

PJ

p.s. oh and this post is 'The Revenge' I think for thinking about another car. Took an Ibiza Cupra tdi 160 out on sunday. Performance was reasonable (if you caned it) with avg mpg 34 (!) looks ok, interior a pile of cheap plastic with little or no toys to play with. Your 14k gets you an engine, a box for the engine to sit in and a few wheels, and thats yer lot. And it costs more than a BMW 3.0d to insure too, not far off what I pay for the modded Audi!!! With a few more miles (it had 3k) and a chip it might be a lot better though. Still dog poo inside however.
    Last edited by APNess; 27 October 2004, 12:03.
    'The Bacofoil Express'...

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

It does sound like a problem with your ISV. Not a cheap item to change, just to see if it cures the problem I'd try and get hold of a 'spare' one from someone on the fourm before shelling out for a new one, only to find out the problem remains.
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Top advice from SteveH - offer Leigh a beer or two - I'm sure you can borra his for a quick test. New ISV's are expensive !

Paul
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Working...
      X