Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burst Radiator

******!

Does anyone have any tips for a short term repair on my radiator?
    There's water spraying out everywhere. Its split along the front of the plastic bit on the top of it.
    I've tried superglue and duct tape, but the it didn't make any difference.
    Radweld did nothing at all, other than cost me money!

I've got to make it last until the weekend, when I think it gets fixed - asuming I've ordered the right part!
    ex '93 Avant owner

How about that exopy stuff (like putty in two parts) that will harded underwater. I think you can buy it for fixing leaks in domestic central heating rads and pipes.

Just mix the two parts together and push it onto the leak, you never know! Most big DIY places should sell it.

HTH

Leigh
    Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

Resin based body filler is the dogs ******** and it lasted nearly 3 weeks when mine cracked around the bleed screw (shows how important bleeding these cars is) The repair lasted fine but the nozzle for the top rad hose blew off 3 weeks later. Not a nice part to change at all, and its probably worth changing the rubber mounts aswell, as when these go they take hoses and even the radiator with it by putting undue stress on them. That top radiator hose is 86 quid!!! ( As the missus put it i must have a serious rubber fetish to pay that much for a piece of pipe)Women--- Just dont undrestand
      Graham
      Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

I'm just going to live with it for now. I'll keep topping up with water.

I get a new radiator fitted on Friday! If it lasts that is!
        ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Speak to Dialynx - I have a radiator with metal caps - I noticed a couple of others did as well - might be better/cheaper/safer (not brake when some oaf leans on it) than original.
          S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Use Volksrange at Thornaby, Stockton on tees, he got me one and that was all metal, and very cheap
            Graham
            Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

The last cheap non-OE one i bought had metal tanks, but it leaked from day one, it didn't fit very well either. But then the failure of the h/gasket 'sorted' it out and i bought a genuine one. £129 +VAT, but i couldn't be bothered to keep changing it. Its not a very nice job on a 3b with a/c. The battery and ABS pump are both right in the ****** way aswell.

Anyone see what was wrong with it? That took some getting out!
              Attached Files
              sigpic
              Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
              Audi UR Quattro
              Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
              Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
              Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Thats more like it.
                Attached Files
                sigpic
                Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                Audi UR Quattro
                Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

That looks like the metal capped one I have - are these just general replacement radiators then?
                  S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

They are made by a big rad company, called Nissens. Quite frankly there stuff is not very good quality, and i try not to fit them unless i have to. It will probably leak when its about 13-14 months old, just out of warranty. Thats what we have found at work.
                    sigpic
                    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                    Audi UR Quattro
                    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Get a genuine VAG metal one, the Ur quattro 10 / 20V cars always used a metal - tanked rad from day one to the end of production. They have the same outlets as the S2's, and are a direct fit. Can't remember how much they cost, but I guess VAGparts can do it at a fair price...

Comment

Wish I could Siena me old mucker ;-) but the rads for S2 and UR are cheaper from the Uk Stealers! 125 for S2 190 for UR.

I think the UR rad has one extra outlet for a small bore pipe thouh, that'll need to be capped off. I think the main rad has a small bore hose going to the aux rad. good idea though... if its stronger then might well be worth the extra ££ for it. My new rad gen. Audi S2 was plastic :-(
                        Martyn
                        -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

@Tom,

That main rad must of been a real cow to get out!! it's blown outwards right below the chassis leg!! there's no spare room to get a stock rad out, let alone one that has grown by an inch! and then the ABS and battery!!

Me thinks that would of had the special tool out... the angle grinder!!
                          Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

He he, Martyn, it HAS grown! Bit like me ex! Seriously though, I would invest in a metal one, may cost more, but you can't get summat for nout anyroad. Had one in my Orange beast and it was still there when I sold it 6 years later. :nana: :nana:

Comment

Siena I didn't realise you were from Yorkshire? great accent you have their ;-)

So, when are we doing the 2.5 ltr conversion on mine? the turbo is on its way now.

Martyn
                              Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Working...
                              X