Piston Rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piston Rings

Hi, with all the conversions what have gone on in here recently, i thought one or more of you might be able to help.
    My mate has a Corrado G60 with a stage 3 jabba sport supercharger on, he is taking his car off the road for a conversion to a 2.0 (bored from 1.8) stroker engine out of the Golf G60 Rallye, he has asked for some advise on what piston rings to use. He asked me about Moly and ceramic pistons, also endless total seals. I havnt got a clue, but i think some of you might be able to shed some light on what the pros and cons are and if there are better alternatives. Any help will be muched appreciated.
    Also Does anyone know of anywhere there is a Golf G60 rallye engine for sale as up to now the stealership has been his only chance of one (brand new) and it only comes with pistons and crank assembled. He just wants the block as it is going to be bored to a 2.0 and a longer throw crank is to be fitted with custom pistons made for this. (which he also needs advise on)
    Graham
    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

I will used a 1,9 tdi bottom end,with crank.....the crank are 95,5 stroke and the block are some higher than the 1,8liters......then use some H-profile conrods and JE pistons.....block after 1992 have a very hard block(more nickel)

Comment

Why not use a 1.8T block??? It's very strong!! One of the projects I'm working on now is a TT with GT28R turbo, cast EM, JE pistons and Pauter rods, FMIC and we're hoping we'll be able to break the 400 HP barrier...the block itself shouldn't be a problem...

Mihnea
      '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
      info@MRCTuning.com
      Workshop Directions

Comment

Are you using a stronger crank Mihnea? I thought they couldn't tkae much more than 340bhp - or whatver sort of torque you get with that bhp.

The group buy JE pistons had ceramic coating on top and a moly coating of the skirts - does it help? fook knows but it looked nice - and I doubt I would pay the extra if I was doing it again.

Gapless rings - we had the option for a our JE pistons - but couldn't find anyone who used them in anything other than race engines that get rebuilt every few thousand miles - or less - so I stuck with conventional rings
        S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Doug, the crank is staying stock, I dunno if the crank is the problem above whatever the limit is. MTM don't do more than 345 on a standard block before reboring and changing the whole lot, Jabba claim 360 but someone told me they were having problems getting there, so I dunno actually.. we'll see how well it holds up, hopefully we don't spill any oil/engine parts on the dyno...
          '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
          info@MRCTuning.com
          Workshop Directions

Comment

if the block are 16mm higher and have more nickel in ,i will use the dieselblock after 1992,YEASSS!!

Comment

Working...
            X