Air / Fuel Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air / Fuel Gauge

Anyone know if its possible to hook one of these up to the lambda sensor fitted to the car already?

Thought it to be a good idea as im wanting to re-fit Nitrous to my car, but to make sure its running ok.

Cheers all in advance
    Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
    2011 Kawasaki Z1000

You can but i dont know how accurate it will be, i found that unless you used a dual band O2 sensor the readings were very on/off

Think ours is a 3 wire? so shouldn't be difficult

Comment

Anyone able to help further?
      Ant

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

get this: www.zeitronix.com

it is proper cheap (US dollar is very low!!!) and it works great!!! comes with probe as well, and there's a narrowband simulated output that you can hook up to the ECU so it thinks the stock sensor is there.

Cheers,

Mihnea
        '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
        info@MRCTuning.com
        Workshop Directions

Comment

ooooooo

Liking that lots... as well as the other sensors too, thanks Mihnea

Prob a lil over the top tho LOL, just wanna see how its running once the Nitrous is on there make sure its not gonna run too lean or too rich.

hmmmmmmmm
          Last edited by S2 Ant; 7 November 2004, 21:34.
          Ant

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Managing to get one of theese form the US through a friend ( ).

http://www.widebandcommander.com/

Nice piece of equipment the one you suggested Mihnea ! If I had that link some time back I might have gone with it.

Marco

Comment

Marco, I just found out about the Zeitronix one 2 weeks ago and ordered it. Just received it and it looks great, and datalogging sounds excellent, so we'll see how good it performs in scotland

Mihnea
              '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
              info@MRCTuning.com
              Workshop Directions

Comment

The Dynojet WBC has the datalogging as wall, but doesn't have the "all in one" A/F+EGT+boost monitoring.
                Will let you know how it performs once I have it and have the chance to test it.

Marco

Comment

Ant,

I wired my AF gauge into the lambda about 3-4 months ago and it works ok. All I am loking for is a 'trend' not an absolute figure. It's hard to know if my guage is exactly accuracte especially as engine temps rise, so the accuracy of any AF meter gets narrower (unless some of the super expensive ones can compensate with better internals and a wide band O2 sensor?)

Bottom line?? I wanted one to prove in conjunction with my EGT gauge that I am NOT running too lean at any point in time, because when I fit my nitrous any weakness in the mixture on bosst is gonna blow the fook out the engine very very fast!

It will also help to fit a new lambda probe (OE or a better wideband) so the readings on the AF are as 'best can be' with the equipment you get.

As I mentioned above, if you were looking for problems with just an AF gauge, I don't think you'd really be able to tell too well. All you can look for is a new unexplained trend showing up as weak mixture and then investigate why?? Becuase the lambda probes we have are not the best to drive an AF meter, I would strongly suggest you run an EGT along side the AF meter as I have. I now know for a fact that my engine is running pretty ok with regards to AF and exhaust temps so Nitrous can be thought about, but Not fitted!! as my engine DOES run lean and my EGT's can SOAR if I hold the car at 2/3rds throttle for a length of time. I need to get to the bottom of this before NOS is even remotely considered!! I need to change the unchangeable Avant fuel filter and fit a new Bosch fuel pump so see if my lean running is a symptom of the blocking? fuel filter???

Run an AF by all means, but best you can hope for is to spot a trend that is too weak.

One side 'fun' point of the AF is that from stone cold the AF sits very stationary for a short while, I guess thats the ECU holding a richer mixture for the initial start up and tick over. When hot, the AF bounces all over the joint, which kinda shows the ECU is doing its job as a result of the new lambda? Also on full throttle, the AF meter buries its head in the rich department! all that is good info to see as it reassures things are wroking as they should be. Again..... no 'numbers' or 'values' have been mentioned... only trends. I'd say get one and an EGT if you can? they are very wise investments.

Hope this helps?
                  Martyn
                  -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Thanks for that info Martyn, i wasnt sure how accurate it was, but having seen Mihnea use the existing stuff when mapping i assumed would be accurate enough.

I'll look at getting that gauge set up that he put above possibly as the EGT stuff is something i'd like as well, i'll have so many gadgets in the car soon they'll be no room left for me
                    Ant

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Martyn, what EGTs are you seeing on extended WOT??? What about 2/3 throttle when it's running lean???

Mihnea

Originally posted by Martynf
                      Ant,

I wired my AF gauge into the lambda about 3-4 months ago and it works ok. All I am loking for is a 'trend' not an absolute figure. It's hard to know if my guage is exactly accuracte especially as engine temps rise, so the accuracy of any AF meter gets narrower (unless some of the super expensive ones can compensate with better internals and a wide band O2 sensor?)

Bottom line?? I wanted one to prove in conjunction with my EGT gauge that I am NOT running too lean at any point in time, because when I fit my nitrous any weakness in the mixture on bosst is gonna blow the fook out the engine very very fast!

It will also help to fit a new lambda probe (OE or a better wideband) so the readings on the AF are as 'best can be' with the equipment you get.

As I mentioned above, if you were looking for problems with just an AF gauge, I don't think you'd really be able to tell too well. All you can look for is a new unexplained trend showing up as weak mixture and then investigate why?? Becuase the lambda probes we have are not the best to drive an AF meter, I would strongly suggest you run an EGT along side the AF meter as I have. I now know for a fact that my engine is running pretty ok with regards to AF and exhaust temps so Nitrous can be thought about, but Not fitted!! as my engine DOES run lean and my EGT's can SOAR if I hold the car at 2/3rds throttle for a length of time. I need to get to the bottom of this before NOS is even remotely considered!! I need to change the unchangeable Avant fuel filter and fit a new Bosch fuel pump so see if my lean running is a symptom of the blocking? fuel filter???

Run an AF by all means, but best you can hope for is to spot a trend that is too weak.

One side 'fun' point of the AF is that from stone cold the AF sits very stationary for a short while, I guess thats the ECU holding a richer mixture for the initial start up and tick over. When hot, the AF bounces all over the joint, which kinda shows the ECU is doing its job as a result of the new lambda? Also on full throttle, the AF meter buries its head in the rich department! all that is good info to see as it reassures things are wroking as they should be. Again..... no 'numbers' or 'values' have been mentioned... only trends. I'd say get one and an EGT if you can? they are very wise investments.

Hope this helps?

www.MRCTuning.com
                      info@MRCTuning.com
                      Workshop Directions

Comment

Mihnea,

I had the VERY rare oppotunity to run my car FLAT OUT for about 3 minutes recently. I literally do mean, foot flat on the floor in 6th for about 3 minutes. I saw 1400 degrees F or approx 760 C continous.

For what ever reason (fuel filter I reckon) if I hold her at 2/3rd throttle for lets say 5 seconds or more, then the AF drops as low as it will go into the lean area (and STAY THERE) and EGT's rise from a 'normal' 800-900 F (430 - 480 C) up to over 700C if I hold it there long enough, which of course I do not!!! I ease up or change gear.... drive around the problem. To be honest, I don't know what the problem is yet... I kind of suspect the fuel filter and maybe pump... but that cannot be 100% the cause as as flat out running for an extended period i did NOT see over high EGT's???

I honestly don't know what causes this leaning on 2/3rd's??? I'll spend some time on here soon to try to figure out what's what... must change at least the fuel filter first before drawing any conclusions...

Originally posted by Mihnea
                        Martyn, what EGTs are you seeing on extended WOT??? What about 2/3 throttle when it's running lean???

Mihnea
                        Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Martyn,

if EGTs don't exceed 840C at part throttle, you're pretty much ok. Try it for 2 mins if you can and see how high they get. As soon as you see them exceeding 820 (if they ever do), let off.

Cheers,

Mihnea

www.MRCTuning.com
                          info@MRCTuning.com
                          Workshop Directions

Comment

Will do, I'll feedback what she hits. Thing is I can feel that its not pulling cleanly, you know... you just 'know' without any gauges attached something isn't 100%.

Everything else is 100% boost is 1.1 and 1.5 over and she feels fine. Just gotta sort this last issue out...

Cheers!!
                            Martyn

Originally posted by Mihnea
                            Martyn,

if EGTs don't exceed 840C at part throttle, you're pretty much ok. Try it for 2 mins if you can and see how high they get. As soon as you see them exceeding 820 (if they ever do), let off.

Cheers,

Mihnea
                            Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

ah
                              Last edited by slow2; 26 December 2004, 19:04. Reason: meant to pm
                              Dez

Never did overtime until i purchased........s2

Comment

Working...
                              X