Have you ever seen Greg's engine....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever seen Greg's engine....

He's polished not only the plug cover (whoops wrong!), but also the rocker cover too, you have to see it to believe it, it is STUNNING!!! really beautiful...

So my ode to Greg's work and time spent on his polishing, how many hours Greg??

Here's my homage to you Greg, only managed the plug cover today, rocker cover and inlet manifold another time:

Attached Files
    Last edited by Martynf; 15 September 2003, 17:11.
    Martyn
    -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Attached Files
    Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

The engine bay is about as clean as mine will ever get, a lot of work has gone into this, the photo's don't do it justice :-( Even the chassis legs are gleaming :-)
      Attached Files
      Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Inner wings clean enough to eat your dinner from, all the rubber bits cleaned, stainless steel pipes gleaming, bottles sparkling :-)
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Martynf; 14 September 2003, 23:27.
        Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

polished with what, out of interest ?
          Jim

Comment

Good old fashioned elbow grease Jim! started off with 80 grade wet n dry, then 180, then 320, then 800. Took about 2-3 hours to do. Took all the coil packs off, then sat in the garage with beers and and buckets of water and watched the Italian Grand Prix whilst sanding away.
            Last edited by Martynf; 14 September 2003, 20:03.
            Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Martyn, nice engine bay. Mine is clean, but not that clean

Any tips (not the cam cover etc. just the general cleaning)? How do you get all the connectors near the bulk head clean? I've used some degreaser and a hose pipe but I get nowhere near that result :eek2:

Leigh
              Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

Cheers Leigh,

A good mate of mine runs a large car wash and he had the car for a day to do the inner wings, chassis legs and rubber bits. I'll ask him the name of what he used on those parts. It's not silicon spray, thats for sure. It's a professional rubber treatment. I'll get the name for you. He did the donkey work (much easier with the right products!) I did the polishing and then waxed the whole engine bay to protect the work. Not a nice job, but the results are well worth it.

Martyn
                Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Here's a pic of Gregs engine

Note his polished Power Steering Pump bracket - I'm sure he said 12 hours of polishing - that's half a season of Grand Prixs'

Greg - I know where to nick a plug cover to replace your broken one :nana:
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Doug_RS2; 14 September 2003, 21:19.
                  S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Cheers Martyn, I look forward to hearing what he did/used

How do you 'wax' an enigne bay?

Leigh
                    Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

I'll ask him tomorrow Leigh and let you know. Wax the bay? I used a hard wax. It's so damn clean under there, it'd be a shame to let it get dirty quickly, so I bought myself a tin of the good old fashioned hard Turtle wax, then applied it to all the painted surfaces in the bay. It was a cow to do and much skin lost, but worth it. The hard wax will make it easier to keep clean.

Seeing Greg's RC again, it's amazing. Its mirror perfect. I couldn't get the 20V Turbo area that good, you cannot get into the small gaps to polish it that well. Greg must of used 1200 and then probably an even finer grade to get it that good!!
                      Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

He who waxes his engine bay has WAY too much time on his hands

Doesn't the wax just turn to poo with all the heat in the engine bay ?

I'm no valet guru, but I thought silcone products were better suited to that sort of extreme application.

Ohh god lets please not start a thread about product X versus product Y... mine is shinier than yours - am just curious !!!!

Paul
                        Paul Nugent
                        Webmaster http://S2central.net
                        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

:-) we won't be doing the polish thread, no! hard wax is fine in bays, I have that on good auth. Way too much time? it's a distraction for me! a break from the e-mails.
                          Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

hmmm... These pics are going to help me out with the swap.

Paging.. Right hand drive engine bays.

Martyn? is the aby/3b harness the same for right hand and left hand drive cars?

I been looking for a spot to put the O2 sensor bracket. Seemingly it's on the left hand side in right hand drive bays?

Any better pics ?

Thanks
                            Josh
                            I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who need reasons when you've got quattro?

Comment

ahh crap the brake stuff will be in the way never mind
                              I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who need reasons when you've got quattro?

Comment

Working...
                              X