RS2 oil use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2 oil use

82 k done and I am needing to top up oil every month or so. No leaks or evidence of Xs oil loss via exhaust.

Is it time to listen to those who recommend castrol 15-?40 or 50 and move away from synta gold ?????

S2 never really used oil between changes to 100k but I know engines vary and oil use is greater in some.
    Alastair
    RS2

Castrol RS 10W 60 should sort you out mate.

Comment

I know that 'which oil ?' is a long thread starting but my garage have told me they have the 'new' synta gold in stock. Any ideas ??
      I also read the recent 8 page oil thread and Doug how is the millars c/w castrol experiment going ?
      Alastair
      RS2

Comment

Originally posted by alg
        I also read the recent 8 page oil thread and Doug how is the millars c/w castrol experiment going ?
        Didn't have time to change the oil - that will get done next week - and I see if I notice anything.
        S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo
          Castrol RS 10W 60 should sort you out mate.
          Changing to the thicker oil won't reduce oil consumption will it ?

I have to top up mine fairly regularly too & like Alastair there is no evidence of a leak since replacing the camcover gasket. Somebody at work did say they spotted a puff of blue smoke when pulling away from cold but I haven't noticed anything in the rear view mirror either cold or warm or when flooring it. My mechanic said that it's normal for turbocharged engines to consume more oil.
          Last edited by Pete_RS2; 30 November 2004, 15:59. Reason: typo
          Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

I have Castrol RS in my RS2 and have not had to top it up for past 6mths. Only ever had to give it minimal top ups prior to that, but have used Castrol RS since I have had it.
            Glyn

Ex-Polar Silver RS2
            Sprint Blue RS4 - new toy :mischeif:

Comment

Originally posted by Pete_RS2
              Changing to the thicker oil won't reduce oil consumption will it ?

I have to top up mine failry regularly too & like Alastair there is no evidence of a leak since replacing the camcover gasket. Somebody at work did say they spotted a puff of blue smoke when pulling away from cold but I haven't noticed anything in the rear view mirror either cold or warm or when flooring it. My mechanic said that it's normal for turbocharged engines to consume more oil.
              There's various threads on the forum showing that switching reduces consumption.

Your mech is right it's just the level of consumption that one must watch.

Comment

Could be worse, Fiat 20v turbo consumes 1 litre every 1k!

Comment

Working...
                X