Oil Temp Gauge Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Temp Gauge Reading

Having owned my S2 for just over 3 months I've never actually got a useful reading of the oil temp gauge that I can remember. What's anyone else got / What's it supposed to be?

Cheers

Andy
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

I don't drive hard until it is over 60, and it usually runs at about 90. I have seen 110 - 115 when pushing hard (on a private road )

(It can take 5 - 10 ) miles to get up to 90 deg c

HTH

Steve.
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

yep same here Steve....don't normally force it much over 3000rpm until the oil hits 60 degrees, then...hmm well you know the rest. she is flying in the cold weather right now, not driven it for a week until today, ****** awesome :-)

David
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Mmmm Cold weather, how the turbo breathes..... Mine only gets a run the odd evening and at weekends, always seems to feel like the millennium Falcon to me!!
        The Perfectionist
        sigpic
        Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80
          Mmmm Cold weather, how the turbo breathes..... Mine only gets a run the odd evening and at weekends, always seems to feel like the millennium Falcon to me!!
          mine got nicknamed the millennium falcon!

Comment

I just LOVE the jump to hyperspace!
            The Perfectionist
            sigpic

Comment

I always shift before 3.000 revs till 70 degrees. After 70 degrees I go above 3.000 revs. By normal driving it reads 80 degrees.
              Getting everything sorted out for my 5++ hp project

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80
                I just LOVE the jump to hyperspace!
                Forget that, i prefer space balls and ludicrous speed!

Comment

Yep - should get up to about 80-90 in normal motoring, 100-110 on motorway cruising. If it gets up to above 130 and stays there, ease off a bit. Take it relatively easy when cold to keep your turbo happy.

I've seen temps of >140 on track day, which is very hot and I'm not sure my engine liked me very much after that .
                  Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Stay under 130 in all circumstances or if you go beyond change the oil asap.
                    The scale is stupid.
                    -

Comment

Cool, sounds about right. Drive mine every day so have become 'accostomed' to warp speed... The problems occur when you start to think that the old girl's a little slow and how what's the best way to get 3,4,500 bhp out of her cos it might be a bit more 'interesting'!

It took a drive between Gloucester and Leicester on the A and B roads on the Cotswolds to realise that she's no Golf GTi!

Cheers

Andy
                      Cheers'en, AndyC
                      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

80-90 for normal driving. Can take a few miles to get there. Sometimes a tad higher on a long motorway cruise in hot weather.

Nearly had 130 blatting it round an airfield in the summer. Comes down again very quickly, and changed the oil very shortly after that!

Lower oil temperatures observed after I cleared all the rubbish (leaves etc) out from the in front of the oil radiator - trash just loves to collect in there.

Ck.
                        Shocked, exhausted, hosed, bushed, dumped, chipped, mounted, filtered, gauged, packed, intermittantly wiped and braked. I mean broken. Now, about the car...

Comment

Originally posted by porkkis
                          Stay under 130 in all circumstances or if you go beyond change the oil asap.
                          The scale is stupid.
                          I changed the oil the same week after my last track day, the oil temps I got were too high. I changed to Castrol RS 10/60, I think I got away with it.

You're right about the scale on the gauge though!

Comment

Originally posted by curlyks2
                            Lower oil temperatures observed after I cleared all the rubbish (leaves etc) out from the in front of the oil radiator - trash just loves to collect in there.

Ck.
                            Same with me. I was surprised to see how much dirt it can pick up. Everyone should knee down every now and then to check it. I wonder if a fine wire mesh would screen out the leaves at least... without blocking air flow. I live close to the wood so lots of leaves all the way...

BTW is your oil temp read in celsius?
                            Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

Comment

Celcius yes. Very hot!

Comment

Working...
                              X