aby getting hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aby getting hot

i own an aby avant temperature is fine when underway but gets up too 100c before fan cuts in,excess temp seems to reduce boost/timing above 3500 rpm untill engine returns to 90c.no warning alert comes on but idle temp reaches 109c if left to its own devices.fan does do after run cycle,rad switch(3 pin) and thermostat have been replaced.please help!

Originally posted by peter
    i own an aby avant temperature is fine when underway but gets up too 100c before fan cuts in,excess temp seems to reduce boost/timing above 3500 rpm untill engine returns to 90c.no warning alert comes on but idle temp reaches 109c if left to its own devices.fan does do after run cycle,rad switch(3 pin) and thermostat have been replaced.please help!
    what about the coolant? has it been replaced recently? im no expert, but im sure somebody more knowledgeable than me will come up with more suggestions..
    Tim

1995 S2 Avant, ruby red - ** SOLD TO ROSS **
    Golf Rallye G60 ** SOLD **
    Golf MK2 Oaky with R32 engine
    Audi A6 Avant 1.9 TDi 130
    Golf MK2 8v Race car

Comment

Airlock in rad? Leaking rad(s)? Wrong type of coolant? Something blocking the airflow to the rads?
      Who replaced the thermostat, was it the right type?
      Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

hmmm, does the fan kick in at all to control the temperature? mine cycles on and off just about 90 degs running for about 15-20 secs at low/med speed.

Sounds like possibly the wrong rad switch has been fitted as yours kicks in at different temps to mine, i think it should start the fan at 87(?) degrees.

David
        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Mine is the same. I think it's the mid-speed/'High Speed 1' which isn't working. 'Low Speed' fan works for a/c & after-run and 'High Speed 2' works at ~102 degC. Nothing in between.

I've changed the rad fan switch and swapped the 3 fan relays around in the fusebox which didn't move the problem. Next thing to try is the 3 terminal fan resistor pack located behind the bumper.

I think the thermostat also needs changing as the temp gauge sits at 3 marks below 90 degC with the colder ambient temps we're getting now.
          Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

who changed your rad switch!!! the stat isn't going to make any differece to the needle (from experience!) I'm on teeh 3rd stat thinking that the 1st was a new part 'failure' as the needle sits 3 clicks under since i chamnged it. Guess what teh 2nd stat did too?? and guess what teh 3rd one does as well? cannot be stat, more likely gauge lying! cause, sender, voltage reg or gauge.... cannot be bothered...
            Martyn
            -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

and how come you haven't fixed speed 2 yet???

Peter (who started the thread) your problem is probably exactly the same as Peters above, the rad fan speed 'resistor' fitted to the inner wing, it's probably just burnt out the speed 2 windings as its the most used speed overall and speed 3 goes direct to fan, no resistance. Also to be checked is teh 2nd speed relay in teh fuse box under the bonnet. Luckily there are two relays exactly the same, so you can swap them about to test speed 2.

If the relay swap doesn't cure, then you need a speed resistor part number 447 959 493B @ £73.33+vat from us, £105.15+vat from the dealers.

Before you commit to htis part, check the relay and also check the condition of the wiring going to this speed resistor, if the siring to the terminal pins is really badly corroded, then the fix could just be a file and some WD40!!

HTH
              Martyn
              Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

OK it was Martyn that changed my rad switch.

A technicality Martyn
                Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

he he he he....... hoiw much coolant was lost???huh, huh???
                  Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by Martynf
                    he he he he....... hoiw much coolant was lost???huh, huh???
                    Yes my apprentice did a pretty good job there. I didn't even have to top up the coolant.

No time Martyn. What with the lack of daylight now. Fortunately it hasn't been an issue with the lower ambient temps.
                    Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

back to the original poster. IS the car ok whilst driving?? or does it still sit high?
                      sigpic
                      Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                      Audi UR Quattro
                      Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                      Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                      Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

aby getting hot

Peter (who started the thread) your problem is probably exactly the same as Peters above, the rad fan speed 'resistor' fitted to the inner wing, it's probably just burnt out the speed 2 windings as its the most used speed overall and speed 3 goes direct to fan, no resistance. Also to be checked is teh 2nd speed relay in teh fuse box under the bonnet. Luckily there are two relays exactly the same, so you can swap them about to test speed 2.

If the relay swap doesn't cure, then you need a speed resistor part number 447 959 493B @ £73.33+vat from us, £105.15+vat from the dealers.

Before you commit to htis part, check the relay and also check the condition of the wiring going to this speed resistor, if the siring to the terminal pins is really badly corroded, then the fix could just be a file and some WD40!!

HTH
                        Martyn
                        many thanks to you all,i think youve hit the nail on the head,the fan only runs at full speed,i will check out relay/resistor for damage and let you know,i think thermostat was suspect anyway as i was getting huge variation in temp when driving,get a steady 85c with new stat (genuine part).thanks again peter.

Comment

Well my fan still doesn't come on until ~100 degC. The rad switch & the speed resistor pack have now been changed on mine so I think they can be ruled out together with the relays as we swapped those around too. Is there anything else it could be ? I don't think the gauge is lying because as soon as you switch off after reaching this temp the after-run speed is activated.
                          Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

Anybody know if there is anything else which could affect the fan operation ? What about the MFTS in the water rail ? I need to get to the bottom of this before the summer sets in otherwise I'll end up cooking the head gasket.
                            Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

Actually what is the problem? The fan should not come in before 100C. At around 105 the fast speed kicks in. Can't the fan control the heating or what's the problem?
                              -

Comment

Working...
                              X