Fog warining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fog warining

Well my engine has turned into a smoke machine. I topped it up with oil, next day got in and drove it, it gave a couple of puffs but it always does that (no cats) and then i was half way to work when was making good progress overtaking everyone, but i looked behind me and i was single handly smoking out south east england! Really blue i think but i couldnt tell from the tinted mirrors. I decided to stop and have i towed home, i didnt notice a massive drop in performance, but it was a little slower around 100.
    After stopping i though i would have a look around and couldnt see anything obvoius. Though i started again and it was really white smoke and then blue when reved!
    I though mayb head gasket but it just seems to be running too well to be that.
    Please help i dare not drive it any further just in case, i know my turbo is well on it's way out could it be that?
    Or have i just stupidly overfilled the oil?
    Mike

Blue smoke indicates oil burning in the cylinder area, could be engine wear.
    acidtrax

Comment

I hope it's nothing to do with the valves, and sort of hoping it is the turbo so i can justify getting a new one!

Comment

Get a compression test first.

White smoke usually points to water ingress - head gasket.

Blue smoke usually indicates oil ingress - head gasket, valve guides or oil seals, piston-ring or turbo oil-seal failure.

Blue smoke under power is usually piston-rings or turbo, blue smoke under lift off is generally valve guides...

You might just be lucky and have over-filled with oil - the 20VT engine doesn't like that.

To check the turbo oil seals remove the hose at the compressor outlet - it should be almost bone dry. If the oil seal has gone there will be lots of oil vapour sucked into your inlet plumbing.

Paul
        Paul Nugent
        Webmaster http://S2central.net
        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I was under the impression that any kind of HGF would result in water out of the exhaust..

Excess oil gets burned off and hence the buckets of blue smoke... considering you've just put loads of oil in.. it seems quite a coincidence..
          SOLD.. :(
          But now proud owner of Porsche Boxster S.. :fire:

Comment

Hi

Check coolant levels. And pray it was turbo.

Mine situation about 8 month ago was that coolant was dissapearing very slowly ( about 1/2 litre in 2 months), untik I noticed small trace of moisture and occasional steam by the head gasket. Took a head of, and guess what-salvage.Couldnt take out some of the cam follovers out. New head needed. Thats worst scenario.

Good Luck

Comment

Cheers for the reply, i will compression test it, the problem is i seem to be getting all the above symptoms, i didnt notice any coolant dissapearing.
              Oh well
              Thanks for the replies.
              Mike

Comment

Working...
              X