No announcement yet.

Sill not going like it should!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MAF - mass air flow meter, or something like that.
    It's a sensor that sits in the air intake tract, after the airbox.

It gets very dirty over time, meaning presumably that it can't measure properly. Lots of people here (myself included) have cleaned it - soak it in Isopropyl Alcohol for a couple of hours - to some effect.

Last edited by dan_b; 16 January 2004, 17:30.
    Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

where can i find this alchohol from? will plain vodka do it.. got plenty in the house

what about 96 proof spirits?
      ABY Coupe
      sigpic

Comment

your local chemist should stock it

Comment

if your local chemist doesn't stock IPA - they will still stock "Surgical spirit" - this is a slightly less pure mixture of ethanol and another volatile alcohol, so would still do the job, but you might need to leave it to soak longer.

I was going to rant about 98RON petrol - has anybody else noticed that in the UK you can't actually get 98Octane petrol since they phased out lead-replacement petrol - they seemed to drop the octane from 98 to 97 for their Super Unleaded??

Optimax and Ultimate are supposed to have special additives in them to "improve response". Hmm. What is it over a standard 97Octane unleaded? Anyone know?
          Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

What is the Octane level of Shell Optimax?

Shell Optimax has the highest octane specification of any petrol in the UK. It is greater than 98 Research Octane Number (RON).

I found this on this Shell's optimax page in the FAQ section? Hope this helps?
            Money is everything! Second to Power of course!!! But money breeds power??

Comment

http://www.shelloptimax.co.uk/
              Money is everything! Second to Power of course!!! But money breeds power??

Comment

Thanx 4 that paul s2 central
                Im going 2 go through your list with a fine tooth combe fingers crost!
                I seem 2 of cleard 1 fault by cleaning + soaking the MAF in IPA. No longer do i get the car cutting out when coming on to boost NICE But still holding back a lot most of the time:mad: Il let u guys know what i find.

CHEERS.
                Way of the NINJA

MRC / Nothell S2 :mischeif:

Comment

I have a 1990 3B s2 coupe. i have replaced soooo many bits and it still doesnt run as it should.
                  work done:
                  cats bypassed
                  airflow metre changed
                  pipes checked
                  pulleys and cams redone
                  new head
                  and more..
                  i seem mto get more power when i dont floor it! its so strange!
                  it occasionally runs better whenit is cold but generally just runs in a sort of limp mode. someone help me please any help would be much appreciated.
                  thanks, louis

Comment

ahhhh

i have a 1990 coupe (3B) and i am getting extremely frustrated because it doesnt go as it should. I can get more power out of it by not giving it full throttle its very strange
                    the car simply doesnt perform like it should it seems to be in some sort of limp mode all the time
                    i have tried number of things,

work done:
                    cats bypassed
                    dump valve checked
                    pulleys and cams redone
                    new head
                    boost checked
                    pipes checked

can anyone help? its really frustrating having such an awesum car and not being able to push it to its full potential.

any help would be much appreciated,
                    thanks, louis

Comment

Pull fuse 26/27 for 30 secs, put 'em back, take it for a drive. I had that same weird 'faster on part throttle' when I broke my accelerator pedal in half, and the cable and the thingy on the throttle body sheared off too - all at the same time. After replacing all them bits the WOT position was slightly altered, and power delivery was weird. Resetting the ECU cured that (I don't think it gave off any fault codes either). Drove for a week before thinking to do that. Doh!

Not saying it *is* that for sure but it's worth a try and takes 2 minutes. Unless like me you can't find the fusebox on a 3b.

Hook a boost gauge up to it too. If memory serves you should get 0.9 bar on a stock 3b.
                      'The Bacofoil Express'...

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

Can you be more specific with the symptoms? I am sure someone here can help.

Is it misfiring?
                        Fuelling issue?
                        Checked compression?
                        What loads/speeds is it worst at?
                        Is the problem there is all gears or just the higher ones under heavy load?
                        At what kind of throttle position is it occuring? over 20%? over 80%?
                        Dose anything happen to make it worse, like temperature, time or is itti always present?
                        You said the cams were redone. Did it get worse after this? What type of cams? Is the valve timing out?
                        Cehcked the ignition timing?
                        etc etc

Lee

Welcome to the Forum by the way. Generally a nice and helpful place to be!!
                        1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
                        Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Got similar problem...

when accelarating slowly and stedy, boost ok-0.7-1.0 bar. When trying to this sharp-it boost up to 0.7-1.0bar, and straight away drops to 0.4-0.5bar.
                          Mine is standard 3B

I already changed: MAF-Turbo hose(new VAG)
                          Turbo-IC hose (samco, plus decent clamps)
                          WGFV is working ok
                          DV-Forge works ok
                          All vacum hoses checked

If I rev, engine goes up to red line with no probs, but boost not

Comment

Originally posted by s2-1.5bar
                            Got similar problem...

when accelarating slowly and stedy, boost ok-0.7-1.0 bar. When trying to this sharp-it boost up to 0.7-1.0bar, and straight away drops to 0.4-0.5bar.
                            Mine is standard 3B

I already changed: MAF-Turbo hose(new VAG)
                            Turbo-IC hose (samco, plus decent clamps)
                            WGFV is working ok
                            DV-Forge works ok
                            All vacum hoses checked

If I rev, engine goes up to red line with no probs, but boost not
                            Do you have a 250 kpa on your ECU, or you still running on stock 3B ECU ?
                            If you do not have the 250 KPA sensor, this should be your problem.
                            S2 Limo sold !!!
                            M5 E34 with some mods in the garage
                            sorry, but much happeir now !

Comment

Mine has been tripping out lately aswell, as the cold weather came in the boost on some days wouldnt go above 0.7 bar, but on other days i nail it from low down in 4th and i get 1.1 bar . My air filter is on order as the one what is in is---- we wont go there. But why the inconsistency???
                              Graham
                              Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Hadn't really paid much attention to this thread before, but it's all looking
                                familiar now;

Started experiencing what I thought was overboost (fuel pump cutoff) around June time, started searching the usual suspects , found a 2 inch slit on acc hose at turbo connection, nice new hose , problem seemd to dissappear and didn't experience boost problems for a while , then the same symptoms, changed wgfv, dv, wg hoses and all vacuum lines, problem seemed to go away, then returned , usually around 4k revs, though I could take it slowly/gradually to higher revs nearly immediately without suffering a problem,

So I'm waiting on delivery of a pressure tester and have the 60/70mm hose to do the IC mod whatever happens.

I've got all the access I need to VAG-COM as I now work at a VW garage, next time I'll try and remember to post the output/s only real thing that sticks in my mind was something like "implausible or excessive mixture reading"
                                I was thinking maybe lambda probe , but there's data here to suggest that's not always the root cause.

Originally posted by Graham
                                Mine has been tripping out lately aswell, as the cold weather came in the boost on some days wouldnt go above 0.7 bar, but on other days i nail it from low down in 4th and i get 1.1 bar . My air filter is on order as the one what is in is---- we wont go there. But why the inconsistency???
                                Graham

Comment

Working...
                                X