Earth problems? (RS6 C5)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earth problems? (RS6 C5)

Put this on rs246 but there isn't much technical info over there... Looking for some help. Car has shown low voltage the last few days, 12-13v running and putting lights on drops about 1v though it creeps back up once going.

So I thought it was the alternator, trying to start the voltage went to 8v and I figured the battery had drained due to non charging. Except trying to crank it and just getting clicks it suddenly jumped back up to 12v and fired into life. Saw similar with crappy earth on the RS2 once, voltage drops with load and especially when starting.

Does this sounds plausible and does anyone know where I should start for earthing points to the chassis on the C5??

Need to fix this as its eating my RS2 time
    AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

try the cheat with a jumplead mate from battery to engine earth.

also check voltage at battery and at the back of the alternator incase the life feed wire is breaking down.
    1993 URS4 Avant Emerald Green 350+bhp
    1991 Ford Sierra Sapphire 4x4 in Magenta
    BoooOOOSSSSSTTTT BANG BANG CHIRP CHIRP

Comment

Tracked it down to a junction box on the bulkhead with a 200A fuse in it... terribly corroded and underneath the header tank overflow which looks to have been spewing a bit of coolant over it from time to time. Cleaned it all up and re-assembled and problem solved. I used an old coolant hose to route the overflow away from anything electrical too.

Comment

sweet, i take it there was a differential voltage between alt and battery
        1993 URS4 Avant Emerald Green 350+bhp
        1991 Ford Sierra Sapphire 4x4 in Magenta
        BoooOOOSSSSSTTTT BANG BANG CHIRP CHIRP

Comment

whats that ross ? you want to sell me your rs6 ?
          NOT a car dealer! just an S2/RS2 enthusiast

Comment

You know I was only supposed to keep it for 12 months... it's been 15 now

I've covered 200 miles in it over the weekend now and it's running alot better. No codes coming up, gearbox feels smoother, much more responsive on the throttle - gearbox and engine it seems - I wonder if it's not been running right for a while because of low voltage and I've just got used to it.

It makes me not want to sell it now it's running right! But then with these things it's always the best time to sell up... thing is I don't know what to replace it with, would have to be quattro, 0-60 is sub 7 sec, auto box, ideally avant. But not much bigger, which really restricts it to the B8 A4 2.0T / 3.0TDi / S4 and I don't think I can stretch to any of those right now. And newer that the RS6, so the S2 Avant is not an option

Comment

Working...
            X