engine weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine weight

anybody know how much a 20vt engine weighs???

Cheers
    Joe "NoNonsense"
    axis motorsport
    joe@axismotorsport.com

"At the end of the game, the king and the pawn go back in the same box."

Hi!,
    Guess it is difficult to be exact. Try this.
    http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/troubl...rm.html#weight
    Might be able to get close to a figure! Scroll down to the component weights.

Comment

too heavy if u ask me! understeer comes to mind.
      ABY Coupe
      sigpic

Comment

@ twoqu: Good website! thanks!

@ Ski: I've got the V6 now...imagine my understeer before I put in a 22mm rear ARB! I have another V6 here to put in, but I am realizing that everytime I remove weight from the front end (removed american rebar, air con, lightweight radiator, battery to the trunk, and carbon hood) my handling improves 10 fold, especially after air-con went bye-bye. So, now I am thinking that my V6 idea is no good because i'll just be adding weight (since it's a 2.7tt). After I add intercoolers, turbos, i'll be back where i started as far as weight distribution. So...I will either go V8 or 20vt...
        Joe "NoNonsense"
        axis motorsport
        joe@axismotorsport.com

Comment

or go all out and put the radiator and water system into your boot and impress us all

i used to have the v6 2.8 block, very heavy i must say. but amazingally the aby s2 weights lot more than the audi 80 2.8 v6 (total car weight)
          ABY Coupe
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ski
            or go all out and put the radiator and water system into your boot and impress us all

i used to have the v6 2.8 block, very heavy i must say. but amazingally the aby s2 weights lot more than the audi 80 2.8 v6 (total car weight)
            hmmm...i didn' expect it to weigh more. the American cars have major bars in the bumpers to reduce damage in accidents...they weigh a lot. I've removed both to save on weight.
            I did think about moving those items to the rear, including an oil reservoir, but I'd need an additional electric oil pump to accomplish that. not really idea. Plus, i'd be adding weight with all that plumbing!

perhaps its the turbo and intercooler than add the weight to the S2. I don't konw what to do...i know I could sell my 2.7tt engine quickly and probably make some money doing so, but I don't want to be kicking myself down the road (literally).
            Joe "NoNonsense"
            axis motorsport
            joe@axismotorsport.com

Comment

just did some more looking around, and found this:

S2 sedan - 3344 lbs
              my B4 w/ V6 before weight reductions - 3380 lbs with a full tank of fuel.

I've since removed roughly 143 lbs from the front and only a mere 18 lbs from the rear after removing rebar and placing a lightweight battery back there. So, my car *should* weigh in at 3219 lbs with a full tank of fuel.

Still don't know exact engine weights....
              Joe "NoNonsense"
              axis motorsport
              joe@axismotorsport.com

Comment

I should be able to tell you exactly what my S2 weighs in the next month or two at the garage meet at my dads since the suspension tester weighs each axle at the same time.
                Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S
                  I should be able to tell you exactly what my S2 weighs in the next month or two at the garage meet at my dads since the suspension tester weighs each axle at the same time.
                  awesome...are you corner weighing with coilovers?
                  Joe "NoNonsense"
                  axis motorsport
                  joe@axismotorsport.com

Comment

Nah, I currently have H&R's and Konis fitted to the standard suspension.

I have removed the Aircon and cruise control though.

Greg
                    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Hey Joe!

Well imagine a turn key motor without any ancilleries on it and that would weigh in at 215 lbs. Add on headers, clutch and electrical component and you'll get the idea!

HTH
                      Martyn
                      -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

I know people get rid off the air con and aux rad etc to save weight, but the engine? Surely that would impare performance! LOL!
                        Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

but think how well it'll corner now with all that weight gone from over the front end
                          Martyn
                          -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

You've got a good point there!
                            SS

Comment

Originally posted by Martynf
                              but think how well it'll corner now with all that weight gone from over the front end
                              lol...it would be like the Flintsones-mobile...top speed of 12 mph on a good day.
                              Joe "NoNonsense"
                              axis motorsport
                              joe@axismotorsport.com

Comment

Working...
                              X