Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proper torque settings for 12.9 grade main bolts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper torque settings for 12.9 grade main bolts?

So, the stock main bolts(10.9 grade) torque specs are 48ft/lbs. ARP mains 65ft/lbs, but this can bend the main caps and press the clearance to zero.

So I suppose 12.9 grade bolts should be something between these? What would be the ideal sweetspot?

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
    Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
    BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
    BMW 740iA e38 - Project

I torqued my main ARP studs to 81 Nm / 60 ft/lbs as this instruction; http://arpinstructions.com/instructions/204-5404.pdf
    No problems with clearances what so ever and the crankshaft spun easy so I didn't bother with line honing. I found this cheap unused on the swedish Audi forum so that's the only reason I bought them, otherwise I would just have used the OEM ones.

Comment

I found the ARPs squashed the caps by only approx 0.01mm so leaves plenty of clearance
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Ok, great to hear guys. I guess ARP's are stronger than 12.9 grade bolts, so what would you use for torque, 55ft/lbs?

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Originally posted by Thuppu View Post
          Ok, great to hear guys. I guess ARP's are stronger than 12.9 grade bolts, so what would you use for torque, 55ft/lbs?
          You rebuilding your engine again??
          sigpic
          1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
          1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
          1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

No, not yet. This is an other engine I can throw in and drive the winter. Have to take apart the "main" engine an try to figure out why it's eating oil.
            Last edited by Thuppu; 11 November 2013, 21:32.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Eating is the correct word indeed. I think it was about 1:5 ratio of oil to fuel consumption last time
              http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

Had a look around on Nordicaudi and it was mentioned 65-70 Nm for 12.9 bolts used with a girdle. Guess he used a kit from CP-Service where most of the swedes source their 2.2t tuning parts

Comment

So, the stock main bolts(10.9 grade) torque specs are 48ft/lbs. ARP mains 65ft/lbs, but this can bend the main caps and press the clearance to zero.

So I suppose 12.9 grade bolts should be something between these? What would be the ideal sweetspot?
                  Try them,torque and use a internal gauge.First measure with them half torque or less to get sure that they are perfect round.They usualy are not

Comment

Whatever bolts you use they need to be torqued to achieve the correct amount of pre load. This is done by measuring how much they stretch. Im talking about elastic stretch here not plastic deformation that you have with a 'stretch bolt'.
                    The main bolts need correct pre load as they are subjected to cyclic loading. If there is insufficient pre load then work hardening and eventual failure can happen. I would PM jp as he will be able to tell you how much stretch is right.

Comment

No, not yet. This is an other engine I can throw in a drive the winter. Have to take apart the "main" engine an try to figure out why it's eating oil.
                      Me too, see here

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...light=high+oil

How much is yours using and what do you think is the cause??

PM me or reply on my thread if you don't want to clutter this one!
                      sigpic
                      1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                      1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                      1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Originally posted by Laaf View Post
                        I torqued my main ARP studs to 81 Nm / 60 ft/lbs as this instruction; http://arpinstructions.com/instructions/204-5404.pdf
                        No problems with clearances what so ever and the crankshaft spun easy so I didn't bother with line honing. I found this cheap unused on the swedish Audi forum so that's the only reason I bought them, otherwise I would just have used the OEM ones.
                        I also torqued my ARP mainstuds to 81Nm and the crank didn't spin at all! So i have line honed mine. Strange
                        1360kg/600Whp Avant 0-200km/h 9sec

Comment

Originally posted by AndyP View Post
                          Me too, see here

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...light=high+oil

How much is yours using and what do you think is the cause??

PM me or reply on my thread if you don't want to clutter this one!
                          My uses !!!SHITLOADS!!! and it's coming past the rings. Can't think of nothing more than wrong(too big) piston to wall clearance combined with low tension oil rings.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

If you can read German THIS might be interesting for you. It has torque specs for different friction coefficients - READ different alloys and coatings; dry, oiled or with moly paste.
                            1993 AAN UrS4 Sedan

Comment

No, not yet. This is an other engine I can throw in and drive the winter. Have to take apart the "main" engine an try to figure out why it's eating oil.
                              If all the rest is ok(valve seals,turbo,rings in piston grooves tolerances etc),honing grit to deep keeping and burning lot of oil,or grit to fine not keeping oil and destroying rings?

Comment

Working...
                              X