7A Coolant flush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7A Coolant flush

So looking at changing out my radiator and going to do the expansion bottle at the same time. At the moment the cooling system is pretty dirty and I want to clean it up before fitting a nice new expansion bottle.
    What's the best way to completely flush the whole system? because isn't the thermostat going to restrict flow if I just poke a hose in top hose and let it run out the bottom?
    Cheers
    Cadan

Take out the thermostat, consider replacing.

Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
    Sold ABY-stock

Comment

I'll test it and see how it fairs, just want to double check something with whoever might read this, thinking of swapping out the rad due to coolant loss, now I suspect the rad due to seeing pink coolant crystals on the front of the radiator, theres no obvious signs of leaks elsewhere carpets are dry inside the car so don't suspect the matrix, any other known coolant loss issues with the 7A?
      Thanks

Comment

Might not be leaking, but as you're taking out the rad, replace the small rubber hose from the thermostat hosing to the water rail pipe. # 38 in the diagram.

As it can let go, even on a 7a, if it is still the original.

Also, much easier to do it when the rad is out, regardless of the grief of it letting go when you're driving, and away from the house.

Make sure to fit an oem thermostat, and also check on here for the correct way around, and also the correct orientation for the thermostat. Use a new rubber seal ring also.

Comment

If there is oil in the system you can flush it through with biological washing liquid. Did a fantastic job on my TDI after the headgasket went.

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post
            Might not be leaking, but as you're taking out the rad, replace the small rubber hose from the thermostat hosing to the water rail pipe. # 38 in the diagram.

As it can let go, even on a 7a, if it is still the original.

Also, much easier to do it when the rad is out, regardless of the grief of it letting go when you're driving, and away from the house.

Make sure to fit an oem thermostat, and also check on here for the correct way around, and also the correct orientation for the thermostat. Use a new rubber seal ring also.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll report back tomorrow and let you all know what I find (if anything)

Comment

Originally posted by bikerjim View Post
              If there is oil in the system you can flush it through with biological washing liquid. Did a fantastic job on my TDI after the headgasket went.
              Thats handy to know as my bro's car had oil in the water when he bought it but after many flushes its just about gone minus the residue.

Comment

Oxalic acid is cheap and works really well. Drain coolant, fill with acid dilution, run for a half hour or so then drain - you will be amazed a the **** that comes out.
                Flush with clean water mixed with baking soda to neutralise the acid, then flush thoroughly with clean water and refill with coolant
                Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

This ^^^

Comment

Well if the above gets it clean enough for Alex it must be good
                    Would you do it with the thermostat in or out?

Comment

Do it with it in that way it will warm up quick, without it it would take forever to warm up at this time of year and that is not good for your engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                        Oxalic acid is cheap and works really well. Drain coolant, fill with acid dilution, run for a half hour or so then drain - you will be amazed a the **** that comes out.
                        Flush with clean water mixed with baking soda to neutralise the acid, then flush thoroughly with clean water and refill with coolant
                        What percentage do you recommend
                        RS 2 580HP

Comment

Originally posted by driftin jo View Post
                          Do it with it in that way it will warm up quick, without it it would take forever to warm up at this time of year and that is not good for your engine.
                          Right on will do

Comment

Originally posted by jade View Post
                            What percentage do you recommend
                            Can't remember what I did now, think it was about a cup full of powder, will depend on the strength of the stuff you buy
                            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Guys, i want to do that on my 7A Coupe aswell, any ideas, if its necessary to use some chemical to flush the system or its enough to only flush the system with water, put the righ ratio of coolant and distilled water? And which parts get off? Only hose of radiator clamp off?
                              Audi Coupe Quattro 2.3 20V

Comment

Working...
                              X