Snub mount delete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snub mount delete

I've put a 1.8t in my B3 80q and I'm fabricating the engine mounts at the moment using Land Rover solid rubber mounts to the subframe instead of the floppy Audi ones. They don't allow much engine movement in any direction so I'm wondering if there's any point in keeping the snub mount? because it's right in the way of where I want the intercooler to go.
    1992 80 quattro 20vT

I would look to keep it if you can, but with more solid mounts it may not be necessary. Are you changing gearbox mounts too?
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

I have never run a snub mount but I do have the subframe solidly mounted and the engine and gearbox mounts might as well be solid. No issue with not running one for me so certainly possible.

Comment

No harm in trying it.

The other solution is to run a steady bar from the top of the engine over to a strut tower or similar, with some small bushes in it, this will certainly hold the engine more firmly than the snub mount ever could, and probably be better suited to your LR mounts you are using.

Comment

You can do away with the snub if you have solid engine & gearbox mounts, definitely required with OEM hydro mounts.
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I'm on standard but new gearbox mounts and standard, old but good condition engine mounts (chassis mounted) in my 1.8t type 85 cq and I've had no issues on hard road use and two Combe trackdays without any sub at all. Frankly the engine moves about less that the 5cyl did with a modified snub according to gearstick movement. I should be running close to 180bhp and more torques than the kv was too.

Comment

Second line, sixth word in is a SNUB and not a sandwich with jalapino's, salad, 4 types of salami, cheese and toasted. Nor an oversized rear number plate rattling single speaker in a box in the boot of a citroen corsa vtxi!

Comment

Any pics of the land rover mounts?? My 1.8t tore the top off the oem mount so looking for cheap upgrade lol

Comment

They are a simple beast: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_aFFwFmcm6Z...gine+mount.jpg

And dirt cheap.

Comment

Hi, i dont want to start new thread.

I ressurecting my aby coupe. Engine missing snub mount. Engine OEM mounts was broken, so i sourced cheap aftermarket replacement (feels like doesnt have hydraulic system). Gearbox mounts are now solid(silon+hard aluminimum, given extra by past car owner). Subframe has untouched OEM mounts.
                    So can i work for some time, with say 400bhp weekender using?

Comment

i have solid engine mounts and new gearbox mounts but i've seen on the dyno that without the snub mount my engine is still moving upwards quite a bit so i made a custom bracket for the snub mount and placed it back (this is with 450 hp )
                      i also need this mount because my enginebay is full and the engine does not have much clearance to move
                      audi coupe quattro b2 2.2 20vt project (573hp-626nm)
                      TWINCHARGED power,zero lag
                      AEM W/M injection

Comment

Working...
                      X