what would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what would you do?

well, i've slowly been working on my spare 7A motor in order to swap it for the very tired one in the car currently. unfortunatly, things are not as new as i was led to believe. while i've yet to measure anything, it looks as though i'm looking at boring to the first oversize. that's all well and good, if i could get pistons and rings. the standard pistons appear only to be special order from germany and cost a whopping $300...per piston. no info available yet on the oversize. rings are similar story at "only" $85 a cylinder.

so, i'm pretty scared...or at least my wallet is. the idea of having to spend 3000 on parts and another unknown amount on machining to put a 165HP motor back in the car doesn't exactly please me.

i'd love to do a 20VT from and s2 but i know that'll be too much money. i figure i'm limited to 3 options in north america: 10VT, 1.8T or a 4.2L V8.

a 10V will obviously be the cheapest but i could easily find myself in the same situation of a pooched or dying motor. the plus is, parts seem to be more plentiful and more reasonably priced

1.8T, well, stupid power is very easily achieved but they ain't exactly cheap

V8, well, i know of one on sale in michigan for 300 dollars but it's got 120,000 or so miles on it and i'm scared to even look a part prices for those things. it has no electrical and would require me to build an ecu as all north american V8 audis came with autos, and apparently the ecu is linked to the trans somehow and won't run without it.

thanks for your help, looking for your opinion because you may have different perspective than people on this side of the world!

guess i didn't get such a great deal on the car or motor afterall!
    1993 UrS4...aka the rocket powered living room

Buy cheap, pay twice?

1.8T would be interesting. Do they fit in easy enough?
    acidtrax

Comment

1.8T's can be fun, 2 friends of mine drive mk2 golfs with these engines in
      around 300bhp a piece, and fairly reliable too

but i have heard of too many of them blowing up, and please don't get on from a car thats had a front end smash as one of the mountings is on the block (dodgy welds abound)

but they still cant beat me of the lights, and my car is standard(ish)
      '92 S2 - Bent now

Comment

mechanically, 1.8s present no problems, will "bolt right up" AFIK, there's a good writup/explanation on vwvortex. the elctrical will be fun though. although there are a few guys in my area who are building and have built 1.8ts running standalone. SDS mostly, i think theres a megasquirt or two being worked on as well. budget systems but effective enough. the motor itself will be a pricey item though.

i'm going to be firming up budgets once i've found out what i'll need on this motor and try and keep the cost similar.

10VT is the default choice due to its comparitive abundance....and i'm cheap but i'm havinag a hard time coming to grips with the CIS

it's also the closest to stock, therefore the minimum of fabrication and custom work.

at any rate, i'll no more hopefully in the next day or so once i've measured the bores and see how fooked i really am

thanks for the help

if you guys REALLY wanna help, i'd be more than willing to accept your donation of a 20vT if you really wanna give it to me!

Comment

Originally posted by ottawa coupe
          if you guys REALLY wanna help, i'd be more than willing to accept your donation of a 20vT if you really wanna give it to me!
          Haha...good one!
          If you get a 4.2L V8 from a '91 '92 V8 or whatever else had them, then you can run Motronic because those were available in stick. If you get a 4.2L from an A8 or newer, you will have to run standalone and probably move the ABS (if your car has it) and make some fancy engine mounts. It would be very cool.
          In all honesty, if I had a coupe, I would put a V8 without a doubt!
          Joe "NoNonsense"
          axis motorsport
          joe@axismotorsport.com

"At the end of the game, the king and the pawn go back in the same box."

Comment

Source a motronic from Europe for the v8 from a manual trans car? Coud even be that the difference is only in chips.
            -

Comment

I think the autos have linked ECUs from memory - never diddled or chipped one to know for sure. I have the V8 motronic wiring if it helps - it would be very tempting to do that with an 016 or 01E tranny - forget that Auto nonsense...

AT the prices you quote for AUdi pistons & rings it would be cheaper to go custom with JE parts or similar mosport materials... Guess the exchange rate ain't exactly helping the price of EU car parts in N.America at the moment. SUcks for you I know but its great for everyone else ;-)

Paul
              Paul Nugent
              Webmaster http://S2central.net
              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I would go for the 20vt motor, loads of them about from EU. I guess shipping is expensive tho. V8 option sounds good, but that will make the front end even heavier and the handling will suffer a lot more.
                sigpic
                Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                Audi UR Quattro
                Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

It wouldn't surprise me if the V8 was lighter.
                  SS

Comment

V8s weigh about the same as the 5. Al vs Fe block....does it every time!

the real problem is cost and the return i get for it. yeah, i'd love to splash out for the 20vt or built v8 but i just bought a house and i think eating is a good thing so minimal cost is req'd. i dunno what a 20vt is worth but i'm sure it's not stupid expensive, shipping it here i'm sure would be.

also, would i not have to get the s2 bumper as well? that adds another coupla grand to the bill. come to think of it, we're getting awfully close to an A4 1.8t here

the canadian dollar hasn't moved much against the euro or pound in the past few years, still as usless as ever over there. versus the american though, it's the best it's been in my 27 years i think!

all of this is pure speculation right now though. i'm getting it all measured up tomorrow morning so i'll know what i'm facing.

Comment

well, it ain't gonna be pretty but my mechanic thinks we can stick it together with the standard pistons and lots of hope. he's seen worse apparently. personally, i figure it's certainly going to have a limited lifespan but it will simply cost too much money to get it perfect. i highly doubt i'll have it for 100,000kms anyways. basically, it's the most cost effective solution for now

cost effective that there are both an s2 and 4.2L engine on ebay right now! i'm being good and my wallet is staying firmly in my pocket!

a possibilty for the future that i though of this morning was a 12v v6. they're relativly plentiful and relativly unwanted so parts should be quite reasonable don't you think?

Comment

Originally posted by ottawa coupe
                        well, it ain't gonna be pretty but my mechanic thinks we can stick it together with the standard pistons and lots of hope. he's seen worse apparently. personally, i figure it's certainly going to have a limited lifespan but it will simply cost too much money to get it perfect. i highly doubt i'll have it for 100,000kms anyways. basically, it's the most cost effective solution for now

cost effective that there are both an s2 and 4.2L engine on ebay right now! i'm being good and my wallet is staying firmly in my pocket!

a possibilty for the future that i though of this morning was a 12v v6. they're relativly plentiful and relativly unwanted so parts should be quite reasonable don't you think?
                        when my V6 gets pulled from the engine bay, you can have it for free! it's been meticulously maintained, but sees road courses and autocrosses every week of the summer. ;-) It would be a good template for fitting while you have a 12v V6 rebuilt and cleaned up a bit...
                        Joe "NoNonsense"
                        axis motorsport
                        joe@axismotorsport.com

"At the end of the game, the king and the pawn go back in the same box."

Comment

thanks, might take you up on that! i don't expect to have this engine in the car and running till mid summer so that's when the real test is going to be. it's gonna be around $1500 to $2000 total so it's not like i'll be eating kraft dinner for the rest of my life if it turns out to be shyte but it's enough to make sure you do things well (oh wait, i'm sorta takin a shortcut here aren't i )

i need to do some more checking but i have an opportunity to get not one but 2 10v longblocks that are supposedly in good shape for dirt cheap. one is still attached to a running car that will go for $300!!!!, yes, three hundred dollars. may go for it if i can pop the standard pistons in, plop on the 20v head and be done with it.......

you guys know if that can be done?!

thanks for all the help you folks hve given me, kinda freaked out a coupla nights ago when i tore the bottom end out! very well deserved to ya!

Comment

I've heard that the v8 is lighter than 20vt. Also instant torque available. Would be an option for me if our legistlation would accept
                            -

Comment

Working...
                            X