Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Results of creating some faultcodes and then checking with the VWAudi DTC Memoscanner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Results of creating some faultcodes and then checking with the VWAudi DTC Memoscanner

I bought a U281 VW Audi DTC Memoscanner off ebay.co.uk last Monday. It arrived within 5 days. The 2 x 2 x OBD2/1 connector adapter cable arrived today.

These (not to the same scale):

The white and black plugs on the dongle/adapter plug into the UrS diagnostic ports, shown here in the underhood relay and fuse box:

On an RS2 it would be like this:

And 3B S2:

Initially I tried it on both my 93 S4 (AAN) and 94 S4 (ABH V8) - I knew there were no codes and, guess what scanner said "No Codes" (actually it pulled up one code for each, the 00513 DTC which is the false positive for the G28 engine speed sensor - which always shows up when you pull codes with the engine off).

So I wasn't really sure if the thing worked or not. Somebody on my home forum, quattorworld, suggested that I just pull various connectors of various devices with the engine running and then plug them back in and check for codes. That was a good idea so I went back out to the garage (93 S4 AAN) and did that here are the results:

The test procedure was to:

1. Start the engine,
    2. Pull the plug on a sensor, leave it off for a few seconds and then plug it back in. Did that in groups of 2 or 3,
    3. Then shut off the engine.
    4. Plug the Memoscanner in under the hood (the white and black diagnostic plugs). Then turn on the key to RUN and check for codes.
    5. Once I checked the codes, I wrote them down
    6. Then I cleared the codes.
    7. Then I rescanned for codes (none) and restarted the engine to make sure things were okay.

Here are the results.

Batch 1:

Pulled the G40 Cam sensor plug, the throttle switch plug and then the G70 MAF plug.

Scanning results DTC codes:

4 codes

00515 - G40 Cam sensor
    00515 - G40 Cam sensor
    00518 - Throttle position sensor
    00513 - G28 engine speed (engine was off so no surprise)
    Note: no MAF code even though I did pull the plug with the engine running

Batch 2

Pulled the N71 ISV plug, the G62 Engine Coolant sensor and the G70 MAF (again). This time I left the MAF plug off until the engine almost died before plugging it back in.

Scanning results DTC codes:

4 codes

00522 - G62
    00553 - G70 MAF
    01257 - N71 ISV
    00513 - G28 (borrrrrrinngg)

Batch 3

At the firewall connector rack: G4 crank position sensor, G61 knock sensor and G66 knock sensor

2 codes (Huh?? Should be more)

00514 - G4 Crank position sensor
    00513 - G28, yup, got it.

Nothing from either of the two knock sensors, the green and blue connectors at the fire wall connector rack.

Batch 4

Try the knock sensor connectors again, this time check for CEL on the dash - didn't get any light with either of the knock sensors disconnected. Not sure why not.

Scan results - 1 code. Guess which one (00513 = G28). Yup.

Batch 5

Engine running, pulled one of the knock sensors and revved engine, pulled injector electrical plugs from No.1, No.3 and No.5 injectors, one at a time.

Scanned codes with the engine running.

Scan Results - 3 DTC codes:

01249 - Cylinder 1 - Injector Fault - N30
    01251 - Cylinder 3 - Injector Fault - N32
    01253 - Cylinder 5 - Injector Fault - N83

Hmmm..Still no knock sensor code. But hey, no 00513 = G28 with the engine running, as expected.

I couldn't remove the G42 Intake air temp sensor connector so that will be a test for another day.

But so far, it looks like this could be useful. Not as useful as VAG-Com but for the price, much easier than counting out blink codes.

Last edited by UrS4boy; 5 April 2015, 23:40.
    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

IIRC - not all fault codes for unplugged sensors will be flagged with the engine idling... knock sensors for example.

You should also try that code reader on ABS & HVAC (and airbag if you are brave).
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
      IIRC - not all fault codes for unplugged sensors will be flagged with the engine idling... knock sensors for example. You should also try that code reader on ABS & HVAC (and airbag if you are brave).
      I am going to try disconnecting one of the knock sensors and then revving the engine to see if will store a code.

I am also going to pull an injector connector or two to see how that is read.

I did check the ABS and SRS systems. No codes.

It can't access HVAC. That is done through the automatic climate control head diagnostics.

Comment

Suspect you will need to actually drive the car with knock sensor unplugged to see a fault code... cannot remember 100%
        Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Updated with this:

Batch 5

Engine running, pulled one of the knock sensors and revved engine, pulled injector electrical plugs from No.1, No.3 and No.5 injectors, one at a time.

Scanned codes with the engine running.

Scan Results - 3 DTC codes:

01249 - Cylinder 1 - Injector Fault - N30
          01251 - Cylinder 3 - Injector Fault - N32
          01253 - Cylinder 5 - Injector Fault - N83

Hmmm..Still no knock sensor code. But hey, no 00513 = G28 with the engine running, as expected.

Comment

Take a test drive with one knock sensor unplugged - your engine won't blow up !
            Paul Nugent

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
              Take a test drive with one knock sensor unplugged - your engine won't blow up !
              I understand that. It will just be Wetarded.

That said, I am surprised that disconnecting the knock sensors doesn't throw any codes, idle I understand, but not revved up (around 2000).

Anyway, wasting too much time on this. The scanner works well enough to be worth the little money it costs.

Yes, but not as good as VAG-com. I know this.

Comment

Those devices have their place... in your glovebox for any unfortunate roadside diagnostics on your own car and/or helping damsels in distress... as you sidle up to them they will ask "Is that a code reader in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me"... There is a VAG joke in there somewhere but I couldn't possibly ;-)
                Paul Nugent

Comment

Working...
                X