Major resonance @ 2000 RPM......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major resonance @ 2000 RPM......

After installing my new engine and gearbox in the S2, I started it and drove around a bit. Something that drives me crazy is a resonance that begins @ 2000 rpm till about 3000 rpm. The resonance is engine rpm related and occurs in every gear and is extremely loud.
    All the internals/flywheel/clutch pressure plate/harmonic damper are balanced. So that can't be the source for this resonance. If it were so, then it have to vibrate /resonance at all rpm's, and thats not the case here.

I heard that our IL5 engines often have this resonance @ 1800 rpm. And that this could occur because the exhaust lacks a flexible part after the downpipe, and engine mounts that are worn or under unusual stress. This can create a harmonic balance between vibrating parts.......

Is there anyone that can confirm this sort of behaviour..............

Thanks & cheers
    RS2 Black - stock 315 HP
    RS2 RS blau - stock 315 HP
    Sport Quattro - 1005 HP
    High Octane website

Jeffer I have a problem with my exhaust still and it needs the downpipe modifying and i get a fair bit of resonance because it catches on the gearbox a little bit.

Greg
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

same here, always had it been told not to worry about it too
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Well, I now disconnected my central propshaft. This was the main reson it resonated. The shaft had no play at all. So now I need to put a shorter one between it.

Cheers
        RS2 Black - stock 315 HP
        RS2 RS blau - stock 315 HP
        Sport Quattro - 1005 HP
        High Octane website

Comment

Working...
        X