'93 S4 Missfire???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '93 S4 Missfire???

Hi guys! Anyone got any ideas as to the cause of the missfire on my '93 S4? It's been happening for a while now but seems to be completely random and it's really starting to bug me! It's only a small miss (not like the big electrical missfire under load that I had when a coil pack was faulty) but it can happen at any time, whether you're accelerating hard or soft or whether you're just cruising at any speed. I sometimes think that it's more frequent when it's cold but I'm not entirely sure. Like I said it seems completely random and the car drives and pulls fine the rest of the time which is why it's so hard to trace.

Any Ideas???
    '93 S4 Avant now back on the road complete with new shiny go faster bits.

Have you checked the condition of the plugs?
    Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
    2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

may be worthwhile getting the injectors tested
      skint but fast

Comment

No I've not had the injectors checked. The spark plugs have only done about 5k, I replaced them with the genuine Bosch items not long ago. I've cleaned the MAF Sensor and checked the POS (Ignition amplifiers). I've also managed to blink out the diagnostic code 2111 (Engine speed sensor) but I know that this code sometimes shows itself anyway but the engine was running when I did the check! I've taken the sensor out and cleaned it but that still doesn't seem to have solved the problem!

Comment

Did you replace the fuelfilter already ?
          S4 Rider

Comment

Well my new fuel filter and engine speed sensor have been ordered from the trusty guys at Vagparts so fingers crossed that this will do the trick!

Comment

coolio, out of interest how much was the speed sensor compared to the price i told you on audifans from audi?
              Gav
              S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

Check fault codes. My S2 under hard load sometimes started to sputter. And it was random. Fuel pump was toast.

Comment

Originally posted by gavs20v
                  coolio, out of interest how much was the speed sensor compared to the price i told you on audifans from audi?
                  Gav
                  Speed sensor was £40.56 and fuel filter was 8.49. I think this was inc VAT. Not much different to the Audi price but I don't like to buy from the dealer out of principal. Seems whenever I'm desperate for something they stitch me up! Anyway hope this does the trick for the time being. Cambelt and Head Gasket need doing soon and I think this may hurt the wallet somewhat!!!

Comment

Well fitted the new engine speed sensor and fuel filter yesterday and took the beast for a spin but the missfire was still there! Suddenly had a brain wave and disconnected the ecu to erase the fault code and HOORAY it seemed to work, drove around for a bit in the afternoon and everything was fine. Checked for fault codes when I got home and nothing showed up Job done or was it?
                    Took the car out this morning in the cold and guess what, yep it missfired twice and the fault code's now showing again (2111-engine speed sensor).
                    This has really annoyed me, £50 down the pan and still no answer!

Any more ideas???

Comment

Did you get that fault code with the engine OFF or running ?

Is the misfire at part throttle, full throttle or both ?

Tried to borrow a different MAF yet ?

Always clear fault codes when changing components as the ECU stores them forever...

Paul
                      Paul Nugent
                      Webmaster http://S2central.net
                      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

The missfire seems completely random, it can be at full throttle or sometimes with hardly any throttle ie. just cruising at any speed it'll miss maybe once. Obviously it's harsher and more obvious when you're accelerating. I'm starting to think that the problem maybe worse when it's cold but the missfire doesn't seem to be limited to this or to a particular engine speed or throttle position.

The engine is running when I do the diognostic check as I'm only bridgeing the two diagnostic terminals to blink out the code on the dash! I have deleted the code but it comes back.

Tried a spare MAF as well as the two POS (ignition amplifiers) but neither made a difference! Although there's no guarantee that both the MAFs aren't crap, although I have cleaned them both.

Comment

HI i have 93 S4 and i had same sort of problem at the end of last year were the car was spluttery intermentally and had to take to Audi and they sorted problem by fitting a new power end stage to car (little black module i think on bulk head)
                          93 S2 Avant Parting
                          91 URQ RR
                          02 A4 tdi Avant

Comment

Working...
                          X