Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UrS6 - Engine & Gearbox Mounts - Petrol V's Diesel - Differences ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UrS6 - Engine & Gearbox Mounts - Petrol V's Diesel - Differences ?

Both cars are C4q.

Does anyone know if the 2.5L diesel engine and gearbox mounts are stiffer than the engine and gearbox mounts for the petrol engine car ?

They were on Mk 1 Golf diesel and the Mk 1 Golf GTI.

Wanting a stiffer set up, but do not want to go as far an aftermarket level of stiffness.

Will be putting in a stiffer front snubber mount as a start as see how that works.

Looking to maintain the 'nice' / refined factory levels of NVH, rather than make the car feel too harsh. Getting old in my head also.

Any part numbers or prices would be great.

Thanks for any comments.

Still keen to bottom this question out ?

Anyone know stuff ?

Comment

The C4 Tdi (100/A6) models used an electro/mechanical engine mount which varied the damping characteristics according to engine speed. There appears to be a rpm threshold at 1800 rpm and thats all I can understand trying to deciepher long German words!

Comment

Still thinking about the question in the first post.

Does anyone with a C4 TDi have a photo of their engine mounts ?

Thanks.

Comment

They have an electrical connection on them. They would physically fit. But don't know if you should power them up or not.

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks Des, hopefully someone might know how they work electrically?

Comment

Must be some sort of solonoide valve that restricts the movment of oil to stiffen them up.

Comment

I would expect the diesel mounts to be softer than a petrol engine, due to the fact a diesel motor vibrates a lot more at low rpms. I would also expect the elecy mounts to switch between soft at idle/low rpms, then firm up then the engine is spinning at higher rpms/load. But that is a guess, i may be totally wrong. Point is i doubt they would do anything positive in an S6, unless you wanted to make it smoother?
                91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Thanks for replies. Sounds plausible.

Want to make it tighter, without it being harsher.

Too much rocking of the engine and gearbox felt through movement in the gearstick in stop start traffic.

I think the safest option, for me will be two new oem grade engine mounts and two new oem grade gearbox mounts with a much tighter / bit stiffer front snubber.

"Hopefully" I have well a worn mount which will make an automatic decent improvement with just oem replacements.

Comment

I was thinking the same during the week in the S2, the shunt seems to be getting worse. From memory the C4 uses the same rubber snub mount, just mounted lower down so the same tweaks should apply, i.e. custom mounts, poly mounts etc to take up the slack.

Comment

Yea with a stock snub mount setup my Urs4 would put the viscous fan through the radiator. Not a great party trick. I used a much tighter bracket now on stock foam and it seems ok.

Comment

lol, i think that speaks more about the hoon behind the wheel

Comment

The stock snub mount fits very loose in its cage, Making a smaller cage or making the snub bigger with a piece of plastic pipe would help. I have 034 street density engine, trans mounts with their snub and bracket and it's theres more NVH than OE. I'm not going for comfy with my car

Comment

Originally posted by mcandmar View Post
                            lol, i think that speaks more about the hoon behind the wheel
                            Yep. The 2x busted radiators were after 7k rpm launches.

Comment

Working...
                            X