Nitrous on NG engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nitrous on NG engine?

Anyone put nitrous oxide on a KE injection car??
    A good friend is contemplating nitrous on his B3 CQ (NG engine)........the car runs well just now but will this (KE) system suit NOZ?

Any input welcome.

Thanks in advance.

John.

Not a common mod.

There is info on vortex/fourtitude on CIS 16vs with nitrous. A guy on motorgeek used to have a 4kq with a 95 shot.

How much money does he want to spend?

Wet kit, min RPM via controller or careful use, start small and rich, then lean out, retard timing slightly to be safe.

I would also suggest dont do it unless he is willing to fix it if he breaks it. If s solenoid fails the engine will be short lived.

Great fun once its set up, car pulls like mad!
    Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
    Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
      Not a common mod.

There is info on vortex/fourtitude on CIS 16vs with nitrous. A guy on motorgeek used to have a 4kq with a 95 shot.

How much money does he want to spend?

Wet kit, min RPM via controller or careful use, start small and rich, then lean out, retard timing slightly to be safe.

I would also suggest dont do it unless he is willing to fix it if he breaks it. If s solenoid fails the engine will be short lived.

Great fun once its set up, car pulls like mad!
      I thought you might answer Andy! I need to read up on how it all works first. I think he's thinking £1k for a 100 hp boost? Engine rebuild is something he does NOT want to do. The engine doesn't burn oil and has recently had the head off for a top end overhaul.
      Why might the solenoid fail?

Comment

Is he installing it himself?

I would not go straight for 100hp, I would fit smaller jets first, eg 30 shot, get that working ok, iron out any niggles then up the jet sizes.

Cheap solenoids? Not that common, but can be disastrous if it does.

Can the ECU retard timing on an NG?

Is he planning on a single fogger wet kit? Is he going to use a controller or just a WOT switch?

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
          Is he installing it himself?

I would not go straight for 100hp, I would fit smaller jets first, eg 30 shot, get that working ok, iron out any niggles then up the jet sizes.

Cheap solenoids? Not that common, but can be disastrous if it does.

Can the ECU retard timing on an NG?

Is he planning on a single fogger wet kit? Is he going to use a controller or just a WOT switch?
          Yes DIY, would be getting directly from Wizard of Noz. Don't think ECU can retard the timing.
          Not sure on type except it won't be single fogger.
          I've sent him a link for that blue S2 avant on e-bay!

Comment

Many years ago I ran a Wizards kit on my JS engine coupe,
            I used a progressive controller and worked up to a 200hp single jet, never had any issues for the 4-5 years of use, just got tired of the frequent filling up and opening/closing bottle etc.
            The kit is easy to install though and as far as I remember, the fuel jet is always supplied larger than the nitrous to keep it on the rich side
            1989 NG Q Pick-up (Daily)
            2002 ASZ Golf (Doris' Daily)
            1997 AJK-G2 A6 Avant Q (In surgery)
            1999 AGZ Bora (Daily 2)
            1994 ABC A6 Avant (Spare)
            1984 JS Coupe GT (Slow progress)
            1982 WN Coupe GT5 (Spare)
            1983 MK1 Golf GTI Pirelli (In storage)

Comment

Direct port will be a lot more expensive, if you go direct port, progressive controller, bottle warmer etc it does not seem such good value for money anymore.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Originally posted by recurveandy View Post
                Many years ago I ran a Wizards kit on my JS engine coupe,
                I used a progressive controller and worked up to a 200hp single jet, never had any issues for the 4-5 years of use, just got tired of the frequent filling up and opening/closing bottle etc.
                The kit is easy to install though and as far as I remember, the fuel jet is always supplied larger than the nitrous to keep it on the rich side
                200bhp shot I was only brave enough for a 100 shot and that was a big enough kick!

Was that with a controller?

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

I would go increments of 25/50/75/100 as the right fuel to nos must be accurate otherwise it can cause engine failure and use a controller mini,maxi,pro is what I had on golf easy to use and set up by rpm through splicing into coil wire and that could be ramped up in increments of 5% plus have different ramping rates in different gears as its safer and also fit a blanket to warm bottle up as soon as it looses pressure its crap trust me,and also make sure your clutch and other bits can handle extra power and right spark plugs are used I had it for best part of 3 years every weekend I used a bottle 11lb cost me £40 for refill but it's mostly likely gone up for refill now

Comment

We used to fit many wizards of noz kits to motorbikes. IMA if I was spending my money, I wound not waste it on one off Trev's kits. I would get a NOS kit or nitrous express. Hopefully he doesn't have any problems as he'll need a replacement engine. Nitrous is very unforgiving when it go's wrong. Having said that, it's a cheap way to get power. Good luck. Regards Lynn.

Comment

Trevor has a big problem with the Holley/NOS brand, says their solenoids are generic rubbish and the ones he's designed are wear free. He took his design to Holley and they declined it on the basis that their solenoids were one of their biggest sellers in terms of replacement/repair and would therefore lose revenue. He had a big rant in CAPITAL LETTERS about putting profit before safety Having said that, I think fails are rare (I've not looked into statistics), Will says he's never had a problem with them.

There's no doubt he's a knowledgeable guy when it comes to nitrous, I've read his book on it, but he's awfully righteous about his own products, plus his bottles look s**t, like CO₂ extinguishers! His solenoids however do look cool and are no doubt a superior product but are designed for British Standard Pipe Thread and need adaptors to go with American Army Navy thread fittings. They are quite expensive too.
                      Last edited by cardcrash; 2 December 2015, 11:25.
                      RS2 - Project Mental Wheels
                      RS2 - LHD on the road again
                      RS2 - reduced to component parts
                      RS2 Saloon replica
                      A4 1.8T
                      BMW 320d Touring M Sport Business Edition auto
                      sigpic

Comment

Problem with people is they don't set them up properly and dyno it or put them on a car with not changing spark plugs to a colder range and position the nozzle in right angle in throttle body,I had direct port more expensive but each to there own I suppose good luck hope you have fun with nos

Comment

Working...
                        X