X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flywheel indexing on refitting

Hello all,
    I may have made a bit of a silly **** up

I'm currently gathering parts to rebuild a 7A engine. No tuning, I've said 'no' to myself because i know i would get carried away but the rebuild will be more of a refresh returning it as close as possible to factory after its 210,000miles.

The engine is now on the stand but I didn't pay enough attention to the flywheel position when taking it off and when i found there was no keyway or locating pins, i now have no way of knowing what position it needs to go back in?

Reading extensively on here about balancing i see the flywheel, crank and front pulley are all externally balanced together and because of that - it means you can't just freely swap flywheels over as it would upset balance. Im not swapping but am worried for two reasons...

If it goes back on in the wrong position it will mess the balance up
    If it goes back on in the wrong position the engine won't run as the timing pin will be in the wrong place.

My plan is to refit it near to the end of the build with the timing belt back on and time the engine so #1 piston is TDC and the O mark would be visible in the gearbox timing cut out. The should resolve the timing pin issue and by default sort the balance out as well?

I'd be interested to hear if there is another more exact / factory solution or the product of someone else's as i am clearly lacking experience and struggling to find it with the search button!

The bolt pattern is such that it will only go back on in one position.
    sigpic
    1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
    1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
    1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Flywheel only fits on the crank in one position due to the bolt hole positions.
      Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
      Sold ABY-stock

Comment

really? that would be the obvious answer i was hoping for!

It looked to me like the bolts were evenly spaced around the hole array.

I'm about to rush off into the garage to have a look in closer detail!

Cheers both

Comment

They're not out by much, so if you're like me you'll get it right on the 8th attempt!!
          sigpic
          1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
          1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
          1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

I am now as happy as Larry!

You are right - to the eye they look equally spaced. The dial caliper had other ideas though.

Cheers both - now to crack on with the next phase (probably cleaning)

Comment

Originally posted by AndyP View Post
              They're not out by much, so if you're like me you'll get it right on the 8th attempt!!
              I did at least 1 1\2 turns before I got there
              Cheers'en, AndyC
              1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Working...
              X